You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-4-2016 19:46:49  #851

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

KatLondon wrote:

This might help...

Oh, well, if you think researched facts are wanted rather than uniformed speculation I suppose that might do. 

That review is about the Hermes 8, and the 9 does seem slightly lower in the food chain. It notably does not say made in Switzerland, only who distributed it in the US. Photos of the 8 suggest a design standard similar to the heavier older Adler Universal, while the 9 is surprisingly light for a full sized standard. The core of the machine may be built to a high standard - though lacking a heavy steel frame - while parts of the case are made of thin enough sheet metal that is has actually deformed slightly in normal use, which does not exude quality.

The only Hermes Ambassador I've seen offered recently was a much heavier looking beast with bells and whistles and shipping in its own permanent transport case - supposedly for Swiss military use - 75 lbs. packed! I'd say the quality standard of that machine was very, very different from this machine's. Maybe there was variation within the Ambassador model also, since it seems to me I've seen photos of others hitting at a lighter weight class.

All that said I like this machine a lot, and again I am reminded that quality is suitability for use! The heavy Adler Universal did not necessarily have a better touch than the later version, and in fact seems to carry a lot of excess weight of little function. This tank-like construction did not save it from anti-tank packing, while this lighter machine might actually have survived with less damage. So I would say the cheapening of this design - headed for the cheap 1970's - was more like effective cost cutting-cutting out over construction which added nothing to function or durability, only the perception of extra quality by extra weight. Instead at the same functional quality level, it puts out cues of cost effectiveness by light weight and a no bells-and-whistles looking exterior - though in reality a full feature office machine with unobtrusive controls. And now slightly misaligned trim panels.

$40 delivered to my door. Now that's what I call a low cost alternative! But just another distraction from actually doing something with them rather than multiplying them like rabbits.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

21-4-2016 19:56:06  #852

The sentence fragment after "1970's", a result of hitting Submit when I meant to Preview , was supposed to read "more like effective cost-cutting - cutting out over-construction which added nothing..." 

Oh those pesky dashes and em dashes!

22-4-2016 18:38:22  #853

Repartee, the post I linked to is about an 8 - I wasn't able to find anything at all about a 9! The 9 seems to be the next model after  the 8, and this post says something about how they made the touch lighter in the 9, so it doesn't look as if the 9 is 'lower in the food chain' - rather the opposite, if they sorted out the heavy touch. It looks as if, given the choice of an 8 or a 9, you got the better deal.

Beak, I was hoping this link might shed a little light, but without actually knowing any of the machines in question IRL, I can't say anything. Maybe you can see some differences or similarities.

I do love a Hermes and if I wasn't so cramped for space I'd love a Hermes standard. But sadly, no.

22-4-2016 19:58:45  #854

KatLondon wrote:

Repartee, the post I linked to is about an 8 - I wasn't able to find anything at all about a 9! The 9 seems to be the next model after  the 8, and this post says something about how they made the touch lighter in the 9, so it doesn't look as if the 9 is 'lower in the food chain' - rather the opposite, if they sorted out the heavy touch. It looks as if, given the choice of an 8 or a 9, you got the better deal.

I noticed it was about an 8. I was comparing and contrasting a machine which I could only see in photos and one sitting in front of me. I felt from the photos and an Adler standard of the same period which I have had sitting in front of me that I had a good feel for the look and feel (and weight) of the absent 8, and that the machine in front of me was of lighter less expensive construction. I went on to say this expense reduction probably had no effect on the functional quality of the machine and only on its perceptual quality for folks who expected their office machine to be heavy

The 9 indeed has a light touch, similar to its little brother the 3000. These are the only two models I've ever tried so I took this to be the Hermes Touch: from the description of the 8 seems not always the case.

23-4-2016 09:27:49  #855

Well it was interesting, because I've never seen or used either an d8 or a 9, or an Ambassador; so when Beak asked I thought it would be interesting to search around the typosphere a bit and see what other people said about it.Not much info out there on this particular model, so plenty of room for more, I guess! 

I have a 3000 and a 2000; they're both great to use, but the 2000 is carriage-shifted so feels a little heavier overall - but it's a small difference really. I'm guessing that as a later machine the 9 is basket-shifted...

23-4-2016 10:07:21  #856

Yes indeed, the Hermes 9 has a basket shift. And no, I don't really have space for it either. When you begin swapping out machines to preferred locations on the floors because all the available elevated surfaces have been taken this is a warning sign.

23-4-2016 10:31:07  #857

Hehe, my typewriters have been on the floor for the past year....

Double warning sign.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-4-2016 11:48:26  #858

Two new acquisitions from last night, a 1922 Royal 10 that still has all four of its glass panels, and a 1927 Underwood 5 that was refurbished by Underwood in Toronto when crinkle paint was the go-to Band-Aid for typewriters with ailing aesthetics.

I'm chuffed about the No. 5, not because of the model - they're a dime a dozen in these parts - but because it was owned by a writer (the Royal 10 was also his). This particular No. 5 was a real blue collar machine and clearly used to the extreme: it needed a rebuild a couple or so decades after it was made, and then continued to bang out copy until even the replacement paint had been worn to expose the bare metal case.

A cursory examination determined that the old girl is still willing, but she'll need a few small repairs before once again returning to active duty. I really like looking over these rebuilt models because it's immediately obvious which parts were swapped out as part of the process; for example, the margin and tabulator scales look like they were installed last week, and the decals are the much smaller, more modest versions that lacked the boldness and flair of those that adorned the machine when new.

Even through it's covered in a smothering layer of crud, the Royal 10 still seems to be fully functional, and it wasn't difficult to coax a type sample out of it. However, it needs a complete delousing before it can be used for regular typing, and even then the feed rollers are on their last legs, so I think this one will be put on the shelf in the queue of standards needing repair. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-4-2016 18:24:42  #859

Today was a bit of a typewriter adventure, and now that I've just finished going over the four machines that I bought this morning (two required lengthy repairs), it's time to open a beer and visit the forum.

I made an early start today to pick up a 1965 Olympia SM9 from a seller about 50 minutes west of where I live. Actually, it was more of a rescue than anything else: from the photos I could see that the machine was being stored upside down in its travel case, which of course broke the plastic margin scale in half. The machine is as filthy as they can get, and I think most would have seen its overall condition, the broken plastic, and missing spools, and just walked away. It was my unwavering faith in Olympia models that made me buy it, and sure enough, after dropping in new spools and ribbon, the SM types like a charm when it has no right to. And to break the monotony of regular type, it is fitted with the #71 Senatorial typeface. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It only needs a good cleaning now and it'll be good to go.

On my way back I stopped in at a local antique market that was open for the first time this season (it's closed during the winter months). There were a large number of machines, but only three interested me:

1. 1957 Speedwriter - I already had a '58 and '59 version of this machine, but it was too good a deal to pass up, and since I'm working on a history of Commodore models, this was an important addition since it differed slightly from the other two models. As a bonus it works perfectly fine and is in almost spotless condition - it didn't even need a ribbon.

2. 1966 Royal Quiet De Luxe - I've never come across one of the plastic-bodied, Dutch-made Quiet De Luxe models and although it looked rough I had to grab it. Typical of the Royals made in Holland, every single typebar was seized and it took quite a while to get them all moving properly. The issue is related to long term storage in a less than perfect environment, and doesn't reflect on the quality of its build. It types properly now and should clean up well, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

3. 1962 Groma Kolibri N - It's my understanding this was the final year that the Kolibri was made, the N model being the more basic of the two Kolibri models that were available at the time. It was also upside down in its travel case, but thankfully nothing was damaged and the machine itself looks almost new. Unfortunately, the escapement needed attention and the two ribbon capstans were completely seized. Off came the carriage; it's been a while since I looked at a Kolibri escapement and I had forgotten that they are truly wonderful little things. With the escapement repaired, the carriage back on, the capstans taken care of, and a new ribbon installed, it was time to give it a test drive. The Kolibri is a real rhythm machine, and by that I mean it only works well when you fall into a smooth typing rhythm. And typical of a Groma, this thing can really samba. Of course you don't buy these models for their performance - why would you when there are better ultra-portables more readily available - you buy them for their super flat design that is actually more entertaining to look at than it is to use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-4-2016 19:59:57  #860

I think I must move to Canada.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera