You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-8-2016 19:50:08  #11

Re: Remington Standard 30

I'm guessing the word you're looking for is the escapement wheel which advances the carriage.  The clunkiness is indeed that felt which is wearing out.  Wool should be okay.  For that matter, you could even use rubber if nothing else.  And as for glue, I would use something that's noncorrosive.  I learned that tearing felt pieces out of Underwood 150 typewriters exposed that not all glues are created equal, because these, along with the Universal and other portables, and probably the electrics as well, used the same stuff and probably have rust issues as well.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-8-2016 04:15:56  #12

Wool felt is ideal and probably what the manufacturers used in the first place.  I would use UHU all-purpose glue to attach it.

21-8-2016 09:40:00  #13

Thanks, I'll pick up some felt and glue this week.  If I can't find UHU, could you recommend  a second  option?

Here's a sample of my typing on this machine.  I don't know if any of the problems are to do with the machine, I think it's all User Error.  I'm also having trouble advancing with the space bar on my other machine, so it's obviously user error.  They both work fine when I just press the space, but when I try to write a sentence, sometimes  the space  misses... if that makes any sense at all.

21-8-2016 09:46:32  #14

Sorry, my picture was tiny.  This should help:

And yes, I already know, I can't spell worth a darn.

21-8-2016 09:47:40  #15

I'm interested in learning how to improve my technique and also, if there is anything about the machine that needs adjusting.  

21-8-2016 12:26:22  #16

trampled wrote:

I'm interested in learning how to improve my technique

I recommend getting an old mid century typing textbook. Gregg Typing and 20th Century Typewriting are both good. I learned to type properly from doing the exercises in 20th Century Typewriting, and keep a copy on my desk. They can be found in used bookstores, eBay, and antique malls. In addition to technique and practice, they will teach all manner of things related to layouts and formatting as well.

21-8-2016 17:44:15  #17

If you're not used to a manual typewriter, it takes lots of typing to strengthen your fingers.  Additionally, your typewriter will loosen up a bit and be more comfortable to your fingers as well.  Offhand, I would also say that you might need to give the type bars a good clean as well.  Outside of that, it looks like everything's adjusted pretty well.  I do detect a single space in there on double space copy.  I am thinking that was a misthrown carriage rather than a defect in the line spacing mechanism.  But, just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, and you and your typewriter will "get to know each other" after awhile.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

22-8-2016 09:52:28  #18

Thanks for the book suggestions.  Sounds like just what I need.  I'll keep an eye out for them.

Yesterday's typing went much better.  No misses on the space bar.  Still having trouble getting the first letter of each line to line up, but I'm thinking this is also user error.  Also having trouble getting the letters to be the same darkness on the page.  Maybe this will improve with practice as my fingers get used to the motion.

I bought the felt yesterday and ordered the glue.  Since it's not an exceptionally special machine and I plan to use it often, I decided to customize it a bit and use coloured felt in the visible places (under the keys and spacebar).  While I wait for the glue, I think I'll make a dust cover.  I've an idea of what I want, but I've never seen anything like it online.  Is there a reason the dust covers are usually cloth?  Are there examples of hard shell dustcovers for a standard machine like this?

29-8-2016 09:50:14  #19

Any thoughts on changing the ribbon for this machine?

I was thinking about this one as it says it will work on my machine, but it looks different than what's in there now.  ​https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/280002002/remington-standard-typewriter-ribbon

29-8-2016 13:43:27  #20

Unfortunately the ribbon on the Remington 10,12,16 - and of course your variant the 30 - is one of the most difficult for a novice to change.  The ribbon that you have seen on Etsy is intended for a much later model than yours (post-war).  Instead, buy any cheap ribbon locally or on e-bay etc.  It doesn't matter what the ribbon is supposed to fit, since you will be discarding the plastic spools anyway.  You will need to remove the right hand spool.  The left one is permanently screwed to the machine (I told you it would be awkward )  Make a little drawing or take some photos before you remove the old ribbon.  Wind all the fabric onto the right ribbon spool before you remove it by using the little cranking handle on the back right hand side of the machine. Detach the ribbon fabric from the left hand spool inside the machine.  It should be attached to the end of a short fabric strap that is in turn permanently attached to the spool.  Pull the RH spool and fabric out of the machine.  Before unwinding and getting rid of the old fabric, note which way the fabric is wound onto the spool.  It should be anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise in American)  Wind the new fabric onto the old spool.  If the ribbon that you bought had a stud, grommet or eyelet near the end, cut the ribbon short to remove it.  You may have a bit of trouble installing the new ribbon.  Refer back to your pictures or drawings to show you which way it goes.  A pair of tweezers might help with the threading.  Good luck !

P.S. I should have answered this before.  If you cannot get UHU glue, a spot of contact adhesive (Evo-Stick etc) would do the same job.

Board footera