You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-8-2016 21:08:37  #511

Re: New Member Thread

Hi everyone.

My fascination with typewriters is very new.  I stopped at my dad's house a few nights ago to get some old things I had left there and there was a mysterious box in my old bedroom.  I asked my dad what it was, and he told me it was my grandpa's old typewriter.  I said, "oh cool, what are you doing with it?"  He replied that he would probably put it in the attic for the time being, but probably sell it soon.  I asked if I could have it if he didn't have any sentimental attachment to it, and he said, "absolutely!"

I brought it home and tried to learn everything I could about it before turning in for the night.  I'm so intrigued by the workings of it as a wonderful machine, but also by the history.  It's a Royal portable Model O from about 1937 I believe, and it's in great shape.  I'm anxious to learn more, so I googled "typrewriter forum" and this seemed like the cool place to be, so here I am!

19-8-2016 21:38:08  #512

Welcome to TT, Mithrandir! I hope to see some photos of your grandfather's machine in the Portables sub-forum!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-8-2016 10:15:33  #513

Unsure if I count as a new member or not, because I did introduce myself quite some time ago, but hey-oh, I've never been active here and figured it was about time to change that!

I'm Beth, 18 and about to head off to university, bringing my Imperial 2002 and Blick Universal with me! The former I've posted pictures of here before (albeit with colour stickers which have since been removed), but the latter I have not, partially because I've only just begun the process of restoring it. It's a lovely little thing with thrust-action keys that don't stick and a platen that seems to be in remarkable condition if its alleged age is to be believed (apparently it was manufactured in 1921?). 

Anyway. Hi again, all! 

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

22-8-2016 13:20:07  #514

Welcome, and I like the fact you are bringing your machines to school with you! Just be sure to keep them out of the reach of unwelcome hands. And using smelly/toxic chemicals to clean the Blick might get you tossed out of your dormitory room, either by your roommate or the administration, so I hope you have considered all that. Keep us posted on your progress -- typewriter and academic.

23-8-2016 16:13:54  #515

Thank you for the welcome! And yes, I'll be bringing three (an Olivetti Lettera 32 is tonight's impulse buy!) Luckily in England we have halls rather than dorms, thus I have my own room which I can lock and keep out any intruders. I'm also very fortunate for my room to have a balcony! Anything maintenance shall be done there. I hope to find at least one or two people who have at the very least an interest in my beloved machines!

Currently the proud owner of...
Imperial 2002     -     Blick Universal     -     Olivetti Lettera 32     -     Hermes Ambassador

Dreaming of...
Hermes 3000     -     Royal Quiet De Luxe     -     Imperial Good Companion    -     Smith Corona Silent-Super     -     Royal FP

27-8-2016 03:30:20  #516

Hi there,

I originally registered on this forum to ask for your wisdom so I could fix my Lettera 32 typewriter, but have found myself coming back again and again to read up on everything. So I figured that rather than lurking, I would introduce myself.

I live in the Netherlands, and have started collecting typewriters since the end of 2015 (roundabout). The reason I got into it is because my wife bought me a beautiful (but sadly, completely broken) Remington Standard 10 to put in my study. Struck by its beauty, I went out and looked at other, working, typewriters that might be available. First, however, I bought dr. Richard Polt's amazing book on typewriters, and that showed me which typewriters might be nice to try out, what to look for, how to use them etc..
So now, 8,9 months in, I have about 11 typewriters here, and have already said goodbye to a few I sold back. I didn't make any profit on selling them (in fact, some I sold with a loss) but I want to keep my collection 'limited' to around 10 machines. I don't have that much room, and am afraid this 'hobby' might go completely out of control if I don't restrict myself in some way. I'm sure some of you will know what I mean.

I'd like to share with you how I got the idea of wanting a typewriter in the first place (my wife's idea to give me one didn't come completely out of the blue), but first wanted to make the introduction, before posting an even longer post.

27-8-2016 04:43:54  #517

Welcome I.den & Mari.  Looking forward to hearing more from you both.

Mari - you have taken me right back to my school days - though I had to share a room; you are luckier!  How very wonderful school was (for some of us, I guess, not all) in that the world was at our feet, and everything was open for our investigation and we were encouraged to explore and helped to do so.  I hope your school does what mine did; "You have a typewriter there lad?  How interesting -- just let me know if you need anything, or any help with it.  Actually, there is an ancient machine at the back of the ink cupboard  - just let me know if you want to take a look at that one day."

Sincerely,
beak.

29-8-2016 20:22:50  #518

Hi there, Jim here in Toronto. (Mark, I'd said my nick was Dundurnish,which I am on most sites, but it turns out I went with my university nickname instead.) I grew up on a Smith-Corona portable and typed other students' papers at university on it for cash. I had an Underwood No 5 for years, which I lost in a move. I've recently started to accumulate typewriters at an Usain Bolt-like pace ever since I lucked into an Hermes 3000 in excellent shape for $60 and a Remington Portable No. 2 (non-working) for $25. I have many Remingtons, S-Cs, Underwoods, Royals, etc., with a few less common machines in the mix: an Oliver No. 9, a Smith Premier No. 4, a Bing No. 2, and a Hammond No. 12 among them. I like portables and desk models and am drawn to unusual features and rarity like a bass to a Mepps. Hope to see you all more in the typosphere.

29-8-2016 21:45:47  #519

Hello everyone. After years wanting an antique typewriter I finally bought a working Remington standard 12.  I am trying to locate a users manual, reproduction or a off for it. Does anyone know where I might find one?  Thanks

06-9-2016 18:58:25  #520

Hello.  I've been collecting typewriters here and there for a little more than thirty-five years now, starting with an Underwood No. 5 I found in a junk shop and hauled home with me.  That was actually the first typewriter I could call my own, and I used it quite a lot in high school and college.  

I picked up others here and there, but my collection doesn't begin to compare with some I've seen.  I own about twenty right now (I've got to take a head count one of these days to get the exact number), all but two of them portables.  The most recent addition to my collection is a Royal Quiet De Luxe, found at a resale shop down the road and returned to service just this weekend.  

This forum looks like quite a wonderful place.  I can't wait to explore every bit of it.  

Board footera