You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2016 12:52:04  #1

Royal Arrow Typewriter

I am new to this forum as I have just bought a typewriter for my daughter and want to know a little more about it.  

She is 7 years old has been pestering to go on the computer to practise her letters and I get annoyed as I hate to see how addicted she gets to a computer screen.  My friend has a typewriter and she loved playing with that and I thought a typewriter might be a compromise and so I had been looking for one to get her for christmas.  My husband thinks the novelty will pass, but anyway I found a Royal typewriter in a second hand shop here in Scotland and have bought it for her for £35.  The only reason I got this one was because I liked the round glass headed keys and it looked quite attractive, not that that should matter for a 7 year old.  

A tiny bit of research makes me think it is a Royal Arrow.  The serial number is C862521.  From the typewriter database it looks like it is from 1939, and when looking on ebay I came across one on ebay in the UK.  I can't link the advert as I am too new to the forum, but it is listed as 1939 Royal Typewriter portable First Editions before Quite Deluxe Working RARE.  Mine is not an A but a C but it is identical and doesn't have the mark of arrow or quiet deluxe on it either.  If this typewriter on ebay is correct I am guessing my machine too is a first edition.  I just wanted to find out more about it and whether it is indeed rare or anything special, or whether the advert on ebay is a con.  

I do love the history of old things and from the typewriter database there seems to be a little bit of a story about its production and pre and post war and I am just interested to find out more information just for nosiness more than anything.  I am also curious to know what it is made from?          

28-10-2016 15:24:43  #2

Re: Royal Arrow Typewriter

Royal produced five portable models in 1939, which makes the hyperbole and spelling errors (Quite Deluxe instead of Quiet De Luxe) in the eBay auction you referenced amusing. Photos of your machine would help to identify the model, but if your machine is identical to the one in that eBay auction it isn't an Arrow. Does your machine have a tabulator like the machine in that auction?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-10-2016 15:28:43  #3

I too have a 1939 Royal Arrow. It's nothing really special, and not at all different from the other Arrows after it besides that yours has circular shift keys instead of rectangular and the margin release is in a slightly different spot. The ebay seller was doing what all ebay sellers do and that is exaggerate. Uncommon? Maybe. Special and Unique? Only in terms of a wonderful touch and type action.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-10-2016 15:46:08  #4

Haven't managed to take any pictures yet and not sure what a tabulator is.  To my eye they look identical but I am sure to a trained eye there might be far more differences.  All I know is that it has the round key for shift not the rectangular one and the serial number starts with a c which makes me think it is an arrow not a quiet deluxe.  

Shame the ebay ad is a con.  I got all excited that it might be something special, but I am aware how easy it is to inflate things for sale.  Is there even any such value placed on first edition typewriters, or is that just nonsense?  I have an interest in old sewing machines and I am amused by how ridiculous some peoples claims are when so many were made and still exist.

I am still interested to know more about the machine.  Other than it looks very pretty, is there anything particularly interesting to note about the Royal Arrow?  What is it made from? It has a matt finish.  At first I thought it was bakelite, but now unsure it is made from some metal instead.    

28-10-2016 16:35:29  #5

helpme wrote:

...not sure what a tabulator is.

Is there a key above the right-side shift key that has "TAB" written on it? Also, does it have a lever on the left end of the carriage that is marked "Magic Margin"?

helpme wrote:

...and the serial number starts with a c which makes me think it is an arrow not a quiet deluxe.

You got this from the database, but what you found there is a rough guide, not a hard and fast rule. For example, a few of my Royal machines (and those from other manufacturers too) that were made in Canada don't follow the serial number prefix descriptions laid out in the database. It may very well be an Arrow, but so far it doesn't sound like it's one to me - not if it's identical to the one in the auction. Does it say where it was made anywhere on the machine?

helpme wrote:

Is there even any such value placed on first edition typewriters, or is that just nonsense?

I'm not exactly sure what the seller means by "first edition". I would assume he means first manufacture year for a specific model, and in that case it rarely adds any value at all to a machine. There's certainly nothing rare about a first model year Arrow - just look at how many of them are in the database alone. Of course that doesn't make it any less nice as a typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2016 06:11:42  #6

I have taken a photo but unable to upload it as I need to have an account with flickr or something similar, so I will best try and describe it.  

Yes it does have a lever that says magic margin.  All the keys are round including the shift key.  It doesn't have a tab key on the right, just fraction keys.  It has a LOCK key above the left shift/freedom key and on the top right it has a key that says MAR REL which I am assuming is something to do with the margin.  

When I look closely it isn't identical to the ebay listing, but to a complete novice it looked it.  The only writing on my machine is Royal above a single chrome bar, unlike the two bars on the ebay listing.  It doesn't have any other writing and no indication at all to where it was made.  Box looks similar to the one on ebay but have no idea what it is made from but it is pretty light.  Unable to lock box but there is a key supplied that doesn't seem to work but is folded over and looks like two keys stuck together.     

29-10-2016 16:45:17  #7

Sounds like an Arrow, but I'd love to see a photo of it because the design of its case (the machine's, not the storage/travel case) would be very telling.

29-10-2016 19:22:44  #8

From what I know about early Royal portables already, and what I looked up on Google and YouTube (See Front Stroke EP 7: Royal Arrow), the c before the serial number indicates that it is a Royal Arrow.  Royal Arrows don't have a tabulator (or TAB key), or left-hand paper guide.  Also absent is the chrome piece under the cover--this is painted black on the Arrows.  The carry case is also black, but I haven't seen any other type of carry case even for the Quiet Deluxe models except for a textured gray carry case for a Royal Companion from 1941.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-11-2016 17:20:45  #9

Now, I have a question of my own:  The Royal Arrow, as explained in the Typewriter Database, has had a production run between 1939 and 1950.  From what I see, there are several iterations:  Generation 1 from 1939 to 1948; Generation 2 from 1948 to 1950; Generation 3 of 1950.  Which of these is most prized, or which of these seems to be the most popular?  I own a 1949 model, which would make it a Generation 2.  I'm not saying the Generations are the guidelines Royal uses--I'm using these because they had a shell change at these times.  Essentially, they're all the same typewriter with differences in shells and maybe a few minor features.  But, which of these iterations is the most popular?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-11-2016 14:49:15  #10

I am not sure how to post a photo, but from your descriptions and google images it seem to be an arrow.  A friend who knows more about typewriters came and had a look at it and thinks it is in  great nick.  It doesn't have Arrow written on it, but not sure if that makes it one of the first ones or not.  

Anyone with any useful advice on royal arrows and any nice quirks to this machine?  What type of ribbon do I need to buy?  Is it just a universal ribbon that does most machines?  It is a joy to type with but as I have little experience with typewriters it might be like any other.    

Board footera