You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-11-2016 01:53:56  #1

Royal 10 Base plate sound proofing

I've been disassembling and cleaning my Royal 10. I got the Base plate off and it was covered with a thick layer of gunk. I'll be cleaning and polishing it tonight. What I wanted to know is did the base plate of the Royal 10 ever come with a layer of soundproofing? Should I add a layer of something to help deaden the sound?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

05-11-2016 16:35:48  #2

Re: Royal 10 Base plate sound proofing

On all the Royal 10s I've seen, not every one of them has a base plate--it must either have been  optional or so many got lost because they were easy on-easy off, or the repairmen who fixed on them just didn't see them as necessary.  Could be.  Anyway, I have never seen any noise-deadening material anywhere on a Royal 10.  What you may have on your base plate you said was gunk is probably just that--gunk.  Just scrape that sucker clean and button 'er back on.  Besides, trying to deaden the noise on a Royal 10 is like trying to shoot pool uphill with a rope.  You're not going to do it.  Those things make more noise than a boiler factory, and that's what makes 'em so neat.  Yeah!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-11-2016 17:10:53  #3

Mine did not come with one by the time I acquired it, but even if it did I would think that a thick layer of felt underneath the machine would be much better at quieting it than anything that got bolted on at the factory.  And by "quieting", it's more like the decibel level going from "jet engine running right beside you" to "angry vacuum cleaner".    But it's worth every key stroke!

08-11-2016 01:33:30  #4

Is there any particular felt or glue to be used for sound deadening? I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the felt on one of my Royals was shot of the inside cover.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera