You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-12-2016 16:52:24  #21

Re: Purple typewriter ribbons

malole wrote:

I managed to find some vintage purple carbon paper, which arrived today, and have been experimenting with different typewriters and different paper. The typewriters with harder older platens give the clearest results from the carbon paper, which isn't surprising really. I compared the purple of the carbon paper to the purple of my typewriter ribbon and it is quite different. In my opinion, the purple of the carbon paper is a deeper shade with more blue in it.
I've looked for references to vintage purple typewriter ribbon, and just can't find any mention of it anywhere.

I have a purplish ribbon for my smith Premier 4

25-12-2016 19:56:06  #22

I have a heavy inked old stock purple ribbon on a Royal 10 and they work perfectly together - and TypewriterKing brought me to my senses to stop using it up in a silly endurance contest for the old machine and save it and typewriter for situations calling for extra charm. Score one on a Christmas card!

I also scored a box of 11 old stock purple ribbons for an older LC Smith but I have not checked out their quality because I have not identified which compound to fill the approximately 1/2" x 1/4" area of spalled platen which is far enough into the page that you could not avoid it with 8 1/2 x 11" sheets though maybe note paper. I am thinking asphalt driveway patch might be worth a try. Or maybe I should try in the parts wanted section and see if somebody has a junker and would like to sell me the platen. The LC Smith ribbons have a peculiar hub.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

25-12-2016 22:32:46  #23

There are several schools of thought here:  1.  I wouldn't recommend driveway patch because it is much softer than the rest of the platen, and you couldn't get it round enough--platens are precisely round.  The best thing to do is find a junker to see if there is another platen to repair the machine; 2.  You could contact J. J. Short to see how much it would be to resurface what you have.  It would be a bit more expensive, yes, but if you had the bucks (who among us does?); 3.  You could rewind those ribbons onto other spools of other machines you have.  Just because something is prewound on a particular spool doesn't mean that it's made for use only on that typewriter.  I've been rewinding ribbon spools for years, and I can tell you an Underwood ribbon will work just as well on a Royal--and vice versa--provided you wind it on the spools intended for the typewriter you're going to use.  So, if your repair isn't forthcoming as yet, you can always convert your ribbon stock for your other machines--half-inch ribbon is pretty universal--although I have seen some foreign machines using 9/16" ribbon.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-12-2016 23:59:33  #24

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I barely know the machine though it seems quite serviceable, and certainly not well enough to run out and resurface its platen. Yes, I could rewind them on other spools, but it seems like Kismet that I should on whim acquire a typewriter model I had been bypassing a long time and immediately a large stock of purple ribbons falls into my lap specially spooled for this machine! It's like I am meant to go out and write purple prose - dare I defy Kismet? I feel intuitively there should be some compound which cures into something like rubber or the right hardness, and it hardly needs to be a perfect repair - just no worse than the average beat up platen. But for now perhaps I will just buy some note paper narrow enough to avoid this part of the platen and see how much I really like working with it, before doing anything too expensive.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera