You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-5-2016 21:04:39  #11

Re: Don't be afraid to save a rusted out machine!

I'm still a novice at this, so the "quick and easy" solutions probably hold a lot more allure than the long and painstaking ones. Still, I recently bought an Oliver 3 for $30 US that is covered in rust--from the typebars and carriage down to the keys. In times of distress, I dream of just dunking the whole thing, but I'm not savvy enough to know what each type of chemical would do to each type of metal, including the paint on the cast-iron base. 

So, I should probably avoid trying something like this... right?

18-5-2016 11:26:04  #12

Markmotown wrote:

So, I should probably avoid trying something like this... right?

You can't just dunk the entire machine, regardless of the solution, as it would most likely end up destroying the platen. There are instructions on dunk cleaning here for general cleaning. Obviously when it comes to severe rust you'll want to substitute the water/cleaner solution with something to attack the rust.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-5-2016 10:03:29  #13

Right. I got that from the discussion earlier in the thread. The platen is a disaster area all its own--probably not aided by the fact that it has a piece of paper stuck in it that looks to have been there (quite literally) since the 1920s. But thankfully it was relatively easy to get the carriage off the old Oliver so I can work on that separately. 

Many thanks for the link to the dunking instructions--though you're making it sound like a more alluring option, not less! Do have have similar instructions/ suggestions for what to do about protecting the painting/decals? I've heard wax...? 

Thank you, once again. 

29-5-2016 16:58:55  #14

In fact, quite prominently on the right front of my domicile, I have a sign that clearly reads, "DON'T LAUGH, IT'S PAID FOR."

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-1-2017 06:42:34  #15

ztyper wrote:

Diesel? This is probably the oddest cleaning method I've heard... And that seems to be a trend too. People use alcohol, lighter fluid, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, gasoline, and now diesel. I sometimes feel like I'm suck in the past in the way I use q-tips and light cleaners.

The common element is that these are all organic solvents which are handy to some. Diesel has the advantage that it is burned as fuel hence mighty cheap as a solvent, is readily available to those who might frequent gas stations with jerry cans, and is less immediately dangerous than gasoline.

I don't want cancer or anything (especially since I just moved my operation from my room to the garage because I was inhaling those fumes for hours at a time...) and I don't want to break a law by dumping in a river or having it contaminate the water supply (NJ water is bad enough...). And how and where should I do it?

You are right on target with these concerns. We should avoid chronic skin contact or inhalation of most solvents which are not water, and disposing of dirty diesel fuel is not likely to be easy - legally.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

18-1-2017 18:26:10  #16

You can take used dirty diesel anywhere you take used motor oil.  There are in my neck of the woods at least collection stations where, if you have your water bill receipt handy, you can get rid of up to 5 gallons of used oil or fuel.  I'm not sure about paints and paint thinners, but they have special dates for those.  And, as for contact, it wouldn't hurt to get a pair of chemical-resistant gloves if you're going to dunk or spray typewriters with them.  Diesel and charcoal lighter fluid are solvents of choice if you can't get a hold of parts cleaning fluids, which are also distillate-based.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

19-1-2017 10:26:51  #17

Rather than a full-immersion dunking, I wondered if anyone has explored using a suitable small fluid pump as a scaled-down pressure washer. You could recover, filter and re-use whatever cleaning fluid you might choose. 

19-1-2017 13:40:39  #18

Gabby Johnson wrote:

Rather than a full-immersion dunking, I wondered if anyone has explored using a suitable small fluid pump as a scaled-down pressure washer. You could recover, filter and re-use whatever cleaning fluid you might choose. 

You're describing a parts washer, something very popular in the automotive industry, and although I've been tempted to buy one on several occasions, I keep talking myself out of it by reasoning that they aren't very cost effective and I detest having to deal with recycling contaminated fluids (which can also cost a lot). A parts washer would work great as a degreaser, and it would be quite thorough, but I think they only make sense if have to clean typewriters (to that extent) very frequently. I've seen plans for the typewriter washers that were once used by professionals to clean machines, and when the time comes that I need to be able to clean machines more efficiently, I think that I would rather build one of those instead.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera