You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-1-2017 00:56:21  #1

Imperial Good Companion But Without Royal Coat of Arms?

So I saw an Imperial Good Companion the other day that was made in 1936 but what caught my eye was the lack of the royal coat of arms on the right hand side. For those who may not be aware, the royal coat of arms indicates that the Imperial Typewriter Company has a royal warrant meaning that it supplies typewriters to the British Royal Family.

I have seen Imperial typewriters from 1933 sporting the royal coat of arms and typewriters from after 1936 also having the royal coat of arms so how come there isn't one on this particular 1936 Imperial Good Companion?

28-1-2017 09:38:22  #2

Re: Imperial Good Companion But Without Royal Coat of Arms?

The typewriter could have been rebuilt and repainted without the warrant.

My blog - Just Typewriters

28-1-2017 12:12:24  #3

Or it was simply rubbed off the machine as a result of it being wiped down over so many years. Who's to say? Maybe it was once owned by someone who thought the monarchy to be a ridiculous institution and that person intentionally removed it? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-1-2017 02:18:17  #4

I doubt it was repainted or rubbed off. Everything looks absolutely new. It must have been a hell of a restoration.  

29-1-2017 11:48:26  #5

Might it perhaps have been intended for export to the Republic of Ireland, or some other location where the coat of arms may have prevented a sale?

29-1-2017 22:44:56  #6

I remember some German WWII-vintage typewriters having the SS-rune and/or swastika characters having controversy as well.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera