You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2014 16:13:07  #1

odd royal typewriter?

i was routing around in my loft and found a rather old and chunky looking royal typewriter i picked up ages ago for £15, from google immages and wikipedia i have narrowed it down to a royal khm, but its weird... it has an extra row of buttons above the keyboard marked as £1,£10,£100,£1000,£10000. they dont appear to be attached to any of the stampy lettery bits (dont know what these are called) and the side pannels that are normally made of plastic are made of stamped metal about .5 mm thick, what type of typewriter, are the extra keys supposed to be attatched to something and does this increase its value?

19-3-2014 17:06:50  #2

Re: odd royal typewriter?

Sometimes called a decimal tab typewriter, that row of extra keys on your machine is an accounting aid, and essentially were used to move the carriage at preset tab stops to line up decimal points.

Do they add value to a machine. Not that I've ever seen. Machines like the one you have don't turn up as often, but I wouldn't describe them as rare. I suppose it's possible that some collector who is really after such a model would pay more for it, but I think most buyers don't consider it to be a highly desirable feature.

I assume your typewriter looks something like this one?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2014 12:48:19  #3

thats the one, thanks for the information about what they are for, i wasnt sure if it was missing parts or not, out of interest how much are they generaly valued at?

20-3-2014 14:05:38  #4

It depends on where you live actually. I recently bought a KHM for $50 (CAD). Even though it had a mouse nest under the type basket and was completely covered in filth (I'm still cleaning it), it is in great working condition. I've found that 95 percent of typewriters can be bought for $50 or less. Only the truly old, or really rare, command higher prices. The one exception are typers that are finished in a pretty colour. Buyers (probably not serious collectors) seem to covet colourful machines and are willing to pay crazy prices for such them, which is why I won't be repainting any of my typewriters in black.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera