You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-2-2017 07:38:00  #1

Hybrid machines? know if any of the early electric machines are, in fa

I would be interested to know if any of the early electric machines do in fact, operate manually when there is no power supply.  I have seen machines using ordinary ribbons which are clearly powered by electricity - but do any also work without it; in the ordinary way?
Thanks.

Sincerely,
beak.

27-2-2017 09:28:38  #2

Re: Hybrid machines? know if any of the early electric machines are, in fa

My 1960 S-C Electra does not.

27-2-2017 16:06:40  #3

How early are we talking, Beak? I think the Blickensderfer Electric with the 'golf ball' type head debuted in 1902, and don't think that it would type sans power. The earliest electric that I own and have first-hand experience with is a 1940 Electromatic, and it also requires power to work. I'm not aware of any electro-mechanical model that would work without being plugged in, but I like where you're going with this idea; wouldn't it be interesting to have a power-assisted machine that otherwise would work without electricity?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-2-2017 17:12:28  #4

Yes exactly - the thought occurred, but never seen such a machine.  Would be very useful.

Sincerely,
beak.

27-2-2017 23:00:49  #5

Hi Beak

​The closest machine that I've seen to what you are describing would be something like the Canon Typestar-6. From what I can tell, this is a battery powered portable unit with 110 volt AC to 6 volt DC power adapter cord. If the power goes off, unplug the cord and carry on working with the batteries, assuming you remembered to install fresh ones. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera