You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-4-2017 09:43:27  #591

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome Brent!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-4-2017 10:01:58  #592

Hello and welcome!

Sincerely,
beak.

06-4-2017 16:45:27  #593

I've been dormant here for a while and have recently re-awakened to the joy of typewriting and accumulating typewriters. I live in Wisconsin, USA, where I write young adult science fiction and fantasy novels. I recently started writing on my typewriters and have found it a very freeing and rewarding. My current favorite is a Remington-Rand Noiseless 7. I don't know why it clicked for me, but it did. I can type for hours on that thing. Thwok-thwok-thwok!

16-4-2017 04:05:01  #594

I am a software developer by trade.  As a result, I spend most of my time surrounded by computers.  My interest in typewriters may seem counter-intuitive.

However, my preference when it comes to computers is desktops.  Laptops tend to be shipped with mediocre keyboards, largely - in my view - because most people don't care about quality.  But with a desktop, you can get any keyboard you desire.  And I desire mechanical keys.

So while I don't intend to replace my desktop with a typewriter, I do plan on sublimating my laptops for writing 'on the road'.  I've written more on my requirements and my reasoning for a typewriter in the portable forum (to which I can't link, as this is my third post).

While I am not a software developer, my hobbies revolve around tabletop board games (including paper roleplaying games), vintage cars and history/politics.  And some of my mates have recently taught me to appreciate fountain pens a lot more.

Typewriters come from an era, where machines were built to last, I don't get the impression that modern machines are built like that.  Although, I hope we soon will learn from our past, and build modern quality machines.

16-4-2017 04:44:13  #595

Hi Svip, you'll find that everyone here agrees with you on that score! 

19-4-2017 22:26:34  #596

Hello all, the name is Erik, and I must say I joined the forum for mostly selfish reasons as I know literally nothing of merit to contribute to any conversation and will be out for information to learn to properly use my very first typewriter.

I'm a lover of all things mechanical, automatic or wind up watches/clocks, engines of all type including gas, alcohol, diesel, steam, etc., firearms of all kinds, and just about anything else with grease and gears.

I grew up my whole life with computers, dad worked for IBM, so never worked with typewriters before. But always felt a bit of romance about the complex mechanical symphony of parts. Such complex and elegant design work for a specific task. And most importantly, built to last. unlike so many things today, and the week to week progression of technology from introduction to obsolescence.

A lovely 1937 Remington 5 streamlined happened to pop up somewhat near me, and the price seemed more than reasonable, so I nabbed her. And I'm here to learn what to do to get her up and running. And maybe drink some good whiskey and write a novel by a wood fire or something.

19-4-2017 23:33:57  #597

Hi Erik

​Welcome to the forum and don't be ashamed about knowing very little about the mechanical typewriter. Many members joined for the same reason, then as they learned from the more experienced members, they themselves became more experienced and are now able to assist newcomers like yourself.

​If you have a natural propensity towards anything  mechanical, a little time spent getting to know with your new found joy will net you some interesting knowledge. As for sipping a glass of good whisky by a log stove and typing out your thoughts, I'm picking up what you're laying down my friend. Good to have you as a member and look forward to hearing a little more of your experiences with your typewriter,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

20-4-2017 12:19:40  #598

skywatcher wrote:

...Good to have you as a member and look forward to hearing a little more of your experiences with your typewriter,

Sky

Thanks, glad to have found y'all.
-E

20-4-2017 14:56:47  #599

Welcome Erik!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

27-4-2017 19:29:13  #600

Hi everyone,

My name is Steven, I live in San Francisco, and a month or so ago, I dug out from my closet an Olympia Splendid 33 that I had purchased when I lived in Berlin some 20 years ago (sigh). I wanted to show my daughter what a real typewriter was, and she's really taken to it.

I also just purchased a Royal Quiet Deluxe as a secondary typewriter that I can use to learn about typewriter maintenance.

In my spare time, I'm not adverse to roasting coffee, smoking the occasional cigar and taking our van out of the city with our kids to go hiking/camping.

Looking forward to the conversations!

Board footera