You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2017 03:26:14  #1301

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Hi Uwe,

Thanks! You're right.
It's 110235975, making it 1943.

07-5-2017 12:35:54  #1302

I think that you'll find your number is actually 1102359/5, which makes the serial number 1102359, and the final 5 the model number.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2017 13:01:38  #1303

I wasn't planning on buying another typewriter this weekend--I really wasn't. But I saw this 1937 WW Continental at our local thrift store (yeah, a thrift store!) and I just couldn't pass it up. It is 80 years old, but it is as clean and shiny as the day it was manufactured back in Chemnitz.

The store owner apparently bought it from an elderly photographer who'd owned it for many years, and the alligator case that kept it in pristine condition. The tags on the case suggest that it was originally bought from a German typewriter seller in New York City. It has a German keyboard (no SS! ), but it also does not have an β, which my friends suggest might be a Swiss variant...?

15-5-2017 15:58:43  #1304

The Eszett (ß), also known as a scharfes S (sharp S), is a German character and a normal fixture of most German keyboards. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2017 18:28:50  #1305

Exactly. Swiss-German does not use the ß ligature like the Germans and Austrians, which is why my Swiss colleagues suggested that it was not a German layout. Plus the fact it includes an accented é, which the Germans and Austrians certainly do not use, but is utilized in Swiss-French and other layouts. It seems to be almost identical to this Swiss-German layout found online. 

16-5-2017 15:38:28  #1306

That is a beautiful Continental. I am envious!

My recent acquisition of note is my first successful try at "Goodwill hunting" (pardon the movie pun). I almost passed by a new Goodwill Industries thrift store on Sunday, but figured I should at least look since I was right there anyway. Scanned the shelves and out of the corner of my eye I spied a keyboard -- a gray Royal FP with some sticker residue (as well as the stickers themselves), for $20. I was bummed to see that the left side panel was missing but there it was, right next to it on the shelf. Popped it back in, and proceeded to untangle the ribbon from the typebars. Once that was sorted out, it checked out great -- a little dirty, but not bad, and no rust, though the foam sound dampening was crumbling to dust so I just brushed it out. Everything seemed to work, except the bell, which I got sorted out this morning. (I can provide details if anyone is interested -- it wasn't the standard cleaning with solvent approach.)

It's a 1957, pica font size, a very nice touch to it. I have several Royal standards but I think this one is the nicest of them all. For one thing, I find I like the "deeper" keys (i.e. not the thin plastic keys such as are on the HH or 440, or the metal rimmed keys of the earlier models). I think my fingers work better with them. Handsome machine also, with the textured front plate and the red Royal crest that doubles as the ribbon cover release. I like the big engraved Royal logo on the back as well.

17-5-2017 15:27:03  #1307

And last night I picked up two Underwood 4s and two Underwood 5s for $100 -- none newer than the late '20s. Two are pretty nice, the other two are rougher, but all have nice pinstriping and are complete. Looking forward to getting the hang of these classics and bringing them into full working condition.

17-5-2017 16:36:39  #1308

Fleetwing wrote:

And last night I picked up two Underwood 4s and two Underwood 5s for $100 -- none newer than the late '20s. Two are pretty nice, the other two are rougher, but all have nice pinstriping and are complete. Looking forward to getting the hang of these classics and bringing them into full working condition.

Was this from a private sale or was it a store find? That sounds like a pretty good deal. Congrats.

17-5-2017 20:45:17  #1309

Private sale on Craigslist -- from a guy who buys and sells typewriters, especially old and rare ones. See antikeychop.com, which has a lot of very interesting stuff. He showed me his Merritt (since that's my last name) -- thought I'd get a kick out of it, which I did.

18-5-2017 10:10:08  #1310

I got this Smith-Corona Coronet Automatic 12 as a late Birthday gift from a friend of my grandmother's. Nice machine overall, but it takes some getting used to as the keyboard is a little different than the normal typewriter.

Board footera