You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2017 13:30:20  #21

Re: Looking for a solid portable typewriter

Hi Svip, looks great. I'm glad you've found one you like - and with a Danish layout as well! If the ribbon is working now, it should just keep working. When it gets to the end of the ribbon, either it will turn round ot itsd own accord, or you might have to move the ribbon guides over to change direction. You'll be able to tell if the printing suddenly starts going really faint... 

15-6-2017 15:17:51  #22

I second Kat
Just picked up a pristine Adler Contessa for $20
Solid mid-portable writer.
Also have an Olympia Deluxe (sm9 it looks like), also very reliable but
bigger, heavier, less mobile.

29-7-2017 21:01:08  #23

Hello again.  I have now been using my Alder Tippa for quite a while, and I am very happy with it.  Easy to use and easy to carry.  I wish I had cranked out more pages, but 27 pages is still a decent number so far.

Particularly because I have been travelling since 9 June, but the past few days I have really been cranking out pages again.

However, I still think the typewriter needs a cleaning.  Are any of you familiar with any tips or person who can clean/repair a typewriter?

For the record, I am doing a travel journal on my trip, if you want to read about my journey.

26-7-2018 19:20:42  #24

Hi all,
Any tips for long car trips with portable machines? I'm in Quebec at the moment where riding on any road (hwy or street) is like riding on the moon. I'm taking my Lettera 22 for a long car trip and wondering: if it is in the case, should I lock the carriage, or am I better off tying an elastic on the carriage release so that it is free to wobble inside the case when I hit bumps?

Thanks!
Bob

27-7-2018 16:46:57  #25

I transport typewriters by car very often and have yet to damage any. All I do is make sure that the carriage is locked (or rendered immobile in the case of standards), and place them on a thick moving blanket that has been folded several time. Those felt blankets do a great job at absorbing vibrations and the odd bump.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-7-2018 21:06:07  #26

Bob3k wrote:

Hi all,
......... should I lock the carriage, or am I better off tying an elastic on the carriage release ..........

Thanks!
Bob

With the greatest of respect to Uwe and his extensive knowledge of the subject, it has to be said that there are two schools of thought here.
  I very much believe that the carriage lock should not be on during shipping, because the locks are never (IME) designed to withstand the degree of force they are likely to encounter when in transport.  The lock is, I believe, only intended to stop the carriage moving when the machine is being carried a short distance from one place to another by hand.  You will notice that manufacturers never rely on this lock when sending out their products from the factory, but wedge the carriage firmly in place instead.
  If a bump does overcome the carriage lock when it is on, the damage is likely to be serious - grinding gears and bits flying off in all directions.
  I suggests rubber band to hold down the release, as you mention, and then wrapping the entire carriage area in cling-film or tightly wind a cloth around it.  Thus if receiving a hard knock the carriage can move a little (ONLY a little) but not move anything like enough to hit the stops at either end.
  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

28-7-2018 03:04:54  #27

The best place to put a typewriter in a car - particularly if it is a full-size office typewriter - is the passenger footwell with the keyboard facing the back of the car.  In an emergency braking situation, it is already in the lowest part of the car so cannot somersault or fall any lower.  This is how we used to transport customers typewriters when I was a service engineer back in the mists of time !

28-7-2018 13:44:34  #28

beak wrote:

I very much believe that the carriage lock should not be on during shipping, because the locks are never (IME) designed to withstand the degree of force they are likely to encounter when in transport.

I absolutely agree with taking extra precautions (carriage lock ON and carriage release engaged) when shipping a typewriter by post or courier when it's very likely it will be dropped or receive a harsh impact, but short of rolling my car end-over-end down a hill, the typewriters I transport aren't being treated any worse than if I was carrying them around in their travel case. As I said, I've yet to damage a single machine despite having transported at least a thousand of them. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-7-2018 18:15:17  #29

Bob3k wrote:

Hi all,
Any tips for long car trips with portable machines? I'm in Quebec at the moment where riding on any road (hwy or street) is like riding on the moon. I'm taking my Lettera 22 for a long car trip and wondering: if it is in the case, should I lock the carriage, or am I better off tying an elastic on the carriage release so that it is free to wobble inside the case when I hit bumps?

Thanks!
Bob

I think you are on the right lines with the Lettera 22. Personally one of the biggest concerns I have when leaving anything in a car is heat. I think the main heat forms to consider are radiation and convection. Taking both into account, putting something under the front seats is a good option (out of sunlight to avoid radiation, low down to be in the lowest temperature in circulating air)

The Lettera will fit under many front seats I guess. Also a very handy place for quick access. If it's under the passenger seat, you can pull over and be typing in a matter of seconds. Just make sure that when someone is sitting in the seat or adjusts it, it won't put any force on the typewriter.

28-7-2018 18:21:34  #30

Bob3k wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!
Bob

Re vibration specifically, whatever method I used to keep the carriage in place, I'd also wrap the whole typewriter in either a small towel / blanket or bubble wrap to absorb all vibrations; maybe even stuff something like bubble wrap in the basket, especially if I was regularly driving on a bumpy surface as you describe.

If you have the original case for the Lettera, I'd try to find just enough cushioning material to fit around the typewriter such that the case can be closed and nothing moves inside the case.

Board footera