You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-7-2017 17:37:00  #1

What are your thoughts on the Olivetti Studio 45?

Hey there!

I'm considering picking up an Olivetti Studio 45 I found for sale. I've noticed that there seems to be some mixed opions on these and on Olivettis in general, so I think that I will have to just try it and see. Luckily it's not a big investment. That said, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the Studio 45 if you've used one or own one. Did you like it? Why or why not, etc. I'm not asking for a recommendation, per se, more just surveying people's opinions. Feel free to say whether you'd buy it or not, though.

Here's what interests me: While I'm ussually more drawn to smooth curves, these's something interesting about this design--just the geometry of it. The other big plus, to be honest, is the price for the condition. I'd also gotten the impression that that it was suitable as a workhorse, and, given that I am a writer, this is another attractive quality.

I'm interested to hear some opinions.

Best,

Tric.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

02-7-2017 05:46:16  #2

Re: What are your thoughts on the Olivetti Studio 45?

It really depends how the previous owner has treated it. The Studio 45 can't handle abuse very well, but you don't have to be scared it will break down on you.

The state it is in the moment you purchase it, is the state it will remain having. That can be a positive or a negative, depending on your view point.

It really has a nice typing feel to it.

If you buy it through the internet, ask for detailed pictures of the suit case. I've tried out three Studio 45's and in my experience, the quality of them was comparable to how the case looked like.

Just bought my first typewriter!

Olivetti M40

02-7-2017 12:10:57  #3

Tea Typer wrote:

It really depends how the previous owner has treated it. The Studio 45 can't handle abuse very well, but you don't have to be scared it will break down on you.

The state it is in the moment you purchase it, is the state it will remain having. That can be a positive or a negative, depending on your view point.

It really has a nice typing feel to it.

If you buy it through the internet, ask for detailed pictures of the suit case. I've tried out three Studio 45's and in my experience, the quality of them was comparable to how the case looked like.

Interesting advice. The nice typing feel is good to hear. I will be sure to check out the case along with the rest. While I don't plan on handling it roughly, I'm somewhat concerned by the idea that it can't handle abuse. Sturdy is always nice, as accidents can, and in my case often do, happen.

Thanks for the input!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

02-7-2017 12:50:51  #4

I enjoy mine, which has elite type. Solid writing machine, and a good investment, though I prefer my Lettera 35. The keys on these take some getting used to because they're a bit on the small side and a bit crowded for my tastes. 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

02-7-2017 13:22:42  #5

typeset wrote:

I enjoy mine, which has elite type. Solid writing machine, and a good investment, though I prefer my Lettera 35. The keys on these take some getting used to because they're a bit on the small side and a bit crowded for my tastes. 

Thanks for your take. Good heads up about the keys. I hope I don't find it too small, though I've grown accustomed to adjusting to different sized keyboards between my computer at work and my computer and various devices at home. So perhaps it won't be a difficult adjustment.

02-7-2017 13:27:49  #6

Also, I think I will throw out an additional question: I've heard these are the successor to the Studio 44. If that's the case, does that imply that they would be comparable in performance? I find a lot more written about the 44 than the 45 on the internet.

Board footera