You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-7-2017 15:58:02  #1

Carriage return lever catches on cover of Royal KMM

So, this is my first typewriter that I've ever purchased as well as used, so my apologies if I use any terms incorrectly. I bought this Royal KMM in WNY and had to ship it back to Florida. When I purchased the machine, I do believe that the carriage return lever/line advance lever did work, but now after shipping, the lever now catches on the top of the ribbon cover. This is causing multiple problems because the lines will not advance, it is scratching the top of the ribbon cover, and it will not allow me to correctly set my margins. I'm not sure if the lever bent during shipping, or if the lever is just gunked up. The machine in total works, the carriage moves and what not, and the carriage return lever does return the carriage, but only up to a point. I am planning on cleaning up the keys and other things tonight and in the following days, so maybe that simply will resolve it. I am able to advance the line with the return lever, but only when I hold the right platen knob in place. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to be putting a new ribbon on it. There are two other problems with the machine, but I don't believe they are very serious problems. First, the right margin does not move when I squeeze it, but I kinda figure that it's just all gunked up. The left margin works fine. Second, my platen roller seems to be very dirty. Should I simply clean it up, or should I look into getting it replaced? It feeds paper in just fine, however, my paper gets a little dirty. Any suggestions again are greatly appreciated. 

25-7-2017 16:01:22  #2

Re: Carriage return lever catches on cover of Royal KMM

Also, I took a bunch of photos, but I can't really figure out how to post them haha. And one final thing, I know on these models I should be able to move the carriage so that on the back right of the machine I should be able to see the serial number. However, I cannot move the carriage far enough to the left to actually see the serial number. I can only see a very small portion, but not enough to see any numbers or letters.

25-7-2017 16:17:08  #3

frankj389 wrote:

Also, I took a bunch of photos, but I can't really figure out how to post them haha.

​Please read: Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

What's WNY by the way? Western New York? Keep in mind this is an international forum when you describe things and that a number of members here do not speak English as a first language.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2017 17:25:46  #4

Yes, it is Western New York, sorry. 

carriage return lever

scratches caused by lever

lever hitting cover

another picture of lever hitting cover, the lever stops there

insides of the typewriter

right margin that's stuck

as far as I can see for the serial number

platen roller

[Replaced incorrect photo links - Uwe]