You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-7-2017 19:51:35  #1

Humidity and typing outside

So I'm thirty pages into my story, and things are going well.  But for the first time in my progress, I tried typing outside.  Right now, I am in San Diego, and it's pretty humid outside, which I noticed as it seemed like the typing was working properly (the glyphs might be off, like the lower part of a capital letter revealed), and the keys' spokes sometimes hitting each other.

But most damning of all, the paper turned slightly soggy.

I began wondering, is there anything one can do about typing outside?  Or does one just have to avoid typing outside when the humidity is high?  Perhaps some type of paper can prevent the soggy feeling.  A cleaning will keep the typewriter more readily apt.

It could also just have been me hitting the keys at odd angles due to my slightly awkward sitting position, but I have been typing in awkward positions before without these issues.

I was just wondering how - if ever - you guys type outside.

02-8-2017 08:45:51  #2

Re: Humidity and typing outside

I can't speak for the effect of humidity on typewriter mechanisms, but it certainly creates havoc with paper, as these quotes from various sources indicate:

"As a cellulose product, paper is naturally hygroscopic, making it dimensionally unstable and vulnerable to temperature and humidity changes. In attempt to reach an equilibrium state with its surroundings, paper collects and releases moisture, which may affect its flatness, dimensions, strength, performance, conductivity and fold. The material only reaches an equilibrium state when it neither absorbs nor loses moisture in an environment."

and

"Copier and printer manufacturer Xerox notes that humidity can cause problems with paper as well as equipment. It recommends storing paper in conditions with relative humidity between 15 and 85 percent and says air conditioning will keep most environments within this range. High humidity can cause paper to become waved while low humidity can tighten the paper, which could cause jams. Xerox also suggests keeping paper reams sealed until loading a printer and keeping any spare sheets in a resealable plastic bag."

Board footera