You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-8-2017 12:38:11  #61

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Markmotown wrote:

Anyone in the Indianapolis area interested in a few hundred typewriters?
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/d/300-antique-and-vintage/6225230895.html 

Darn. If I had 9 grand just lying around and knew my wife wouldn't leave me... 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

03-8-2017 15:36:40  #62

(Expletives in Spanish)

I think I know what to ask for Christmas! Dreaming is free, they say...

(More cursing)

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

04-8-2017 08:16:35  #63

Markmotown wrote:

Anyone in the Indianapolis area interested in a few hundred typewriters?
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/d/300-antique-and-vintage/6225230895.html 

Wow! What a stash!

10-8-2017 12:20:26  #64

10-8-2017 15:06:13  #65

Looks like a '50s IBM with a carbon ribbon system. I'm not an IBM aficionado, so I'd guess that it's maybe a model B or C. I'd have to check mine to make a positive ID. Whichever model it is, it's a Card-A-Type unit, possibly a 868 Transmitting Typewriter. I have the non-transmitting equivalent, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy that unit if it was anywhere close to me.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-8-2017 16:02:03  #66

How about a Linea 98? There is one nearby that I can have for $25 -- will need cleaning but it looks good from the pictures. Having been to TWDB I see that Uwe and Javi each have one (Javi has two actually) and they both seem to like the feel and quality of the machine. However, I'd like to hear their thoughts, and anyone else's.

Certainly it looks different from just about anything else, but that's what I'd expect from Olivetti. Anything I should be aware of in particular? I suppose it takes the special Olivetti spools; I'll probably have to respool a fresh ribbon.

22-8-2017 16:58:46  #67

Well... For me the Linea 98 is the best typewriter. It has pretty much everything in terms of speed and reliability, it's slightly smaller and lighter than the probably strictly (and objectively) better SG3. The touch is not as crisp, but the shape of the keytops and the action allow (me, at least) for smoother typing. the touch control helps, too.

In addition, it has its own kind of "magic margin", whis as for now has revesled itself more durable than that of the Royals.

I bet my view on the matter isn't much widespread anywhere! 

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

22-8-2017 18:17:26  #68

I predominantly buy Olivetti machines because they are industrial artwork. And anyone who appreciates looking at a typewriter as much as much as using one would be missing a huge opportunity by letting a $25 Linea 98 slip through their fingers.

​If on the other hand performance is the only concern, the Linea 98 is still a decent standard. An example of one in good condition is a satisfying tool, but don't expect an earth shattering typing experience; if that was the criteria I wouldn't even look at the Linea 98 if there was a SG1 in the same room.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-8-2017 18:38:41  #69

Thanks, guys. I will have to look up who designed it -- wonder if it's a Sotsass design?

22-8-2017 23:04:47  #70

That's so funny there's one in my area fir $25 as well
Yes javi it's the one we were discussing!

Board footera