You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-8-2017 11:15:31  #1

"For those hard-to-reach areas"

Hi,

I've done a little bit of typewriter cleaning, and I know there are lots of good resources out there, but I'm still trying to solve one issue: finding a good solution to cleaning out "those hard-to-reach areas." What sorts of cleaning implements do you use? I have a good idea of the right cleaners, but I can never seem to reach certain parts of my machines. The best thing I've found is a gun cleaning kit. It comes with a narrow rod and a flexible barrel snake, both of which can attach to a multitude of different heads: brass brushes, cotton heads, etc. But this still isn't quite as versatile as I need it to be. So, just a quick survey--what do you use to reach the tight spots?

Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

13-8-2017 11:17:35  #2

Re: "For those hard-to-reach areas"

Quick thought--anyone ever use a test tube cleaning brush? They're inexpensive, narrow, and I imagine that you could bend them to fit your purpose.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

13-8-2017 11:42:34  #3

tricnomistal wrote:

Hi,

I've done a little bit of typewriter cleaning, and I know there are lots of good resources out there, but I'm still trying to solve one issue: finding a good solution to cleaning out "those hard-to-reach areas." What sorts of cleaning implements do you use? I have a good idea of the right cleaners, but I can never seem to reach certain parts of my machines. The best thing I've found is a gun cleaning kit. It comes with a narrow rod and a flexible barrel snake, both of which can attach to a multitude of different heads: brass brushes, cotton heads, etc. But this still isn't quite as versatile as I need it to be. So, just a quick survey--what do you use to reach the tight spots? Thanks!

A natural is pipe cleaners. These days they're maybe easier to find craft stores than in smoke shops. Absorbent to hold solvents, bendable, pretty long and thin...

13-8-2017 11:55:15  #4

M. Höhne wrote:

tricnomistal wrote:

Hi,

I've done a little bit of typewriter cleaning, and I know there are lots of good resources out there, but I'm still trying to solve one issue: finding a good solution to cleaning out "those hard-to-reach areas." What sorts of cleaning implements do you use? I have a good idea of the right cleaners, but I can never seem to reach certain parts of my machines. The best thing I've found is a gun cleaning kit. It comes with a narrow rod and a flexible barrel snake, both of which can attach to a multitude of different heads: brass brushes, cotton heads, etc. But this still isn't quite as versatile as I need it to be. So, just a quick survey--what do you use to reach the tight spots? Thanks!

A natural is pipe cleaners. These days they're maybe easier to find craft stores than in smoke shops. Absorbent to hold solvents, bendable, pretty long and thin...

Hmm. I imagined pipe cleaners leaving fibers behind, but I think it's worth a shot. I'll see if I can find some that seem sturdy. Thanks!

13-8-2017 12:16:31  #5

tricnomistal wrote:

Hmm. I imagined pipe cleaners leaving fibers behind, but I think it's worth a shot. I'll see if I can find some that seem sturdy. Thanks!

Fibers are easier to clean out than grease and dirt. Many of the recommended techniques here are multi-stage processes. Anyway, horses for courses.

13-8-2017 15:15:21  #6

Greetings All

​As a self employed small engine mechanic, I'm always having to clean out some very fiddly little carburetors. I picked up a paint gun cleaning kit (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/18-pc-air-paint-spray-gun-cleaning-kit/A-p8492332e) from Princess Auto a year or so ago, that kit has all sorts of little and tiny pipe brushes that can get into many places.

Automotive brake cleaner with the thin straw that plugs into the nozzle is also useful as one can get the end of the straw right into the inner workings and zap the problem spot with a shot of the solvent. Another thought may be an ultrasonic cleaner with a large enough tank. Just a few thoughts, all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

13-8-2017 15:59:58  #7

skywatcher wrote:

Greetings All

​As a self employed small engine mechanic, I'm always having to clean out some very fiddly little carburetors. I picked up a paint gun cleaning kit (https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/18-pc-air-paint-spray-gun-cleaning-kit/A-p8492332e) from Princess Auto a year or so ago, that kit has all sorts of little and tiny pipe brushes that can get into many places.

Automotive brake cleaner with the thin straw that plugs into the nozzle is also useful as one can get the end of the straw right into the inner workings and zap the problem spot with a shot of the solvent. Another thought may be an ultrasonic cleaner with a large enough tank. Just a few thoughts, all the best,

Sky

That definitely looks usefull. It even comes with a pick. As for the brake cleaner, I assume if I used something that powerful that I would need to remove all plastic, rubber, or painted parts?

14-8-2017 20:33:42  #8

Hi Again

​Brake cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner isn't that aggressive, it's just a fast drying degreaser. However, I would urge one to cover delicate parts with a shop towel before spraying. Carburetor cleaner on the other hand is formulated to dissolve petroleum and related substances, so can be very detrimental to rubber, paint and plastics, but it sure gets crud out of the segment slots. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-8-2017 12:23:41  #9

I often use mineral spirits, in an old model glue bottle with a thin metal tube in the top. This allows application of a few small drops in just the right place. 
I work it into whatever part is sticking, then use a bit of paper towel, pushed into the right place with a small flat-blade screwdriver, to mop up the gunk-filled mineral spirits.

And no, the old, dry glue in the bottom of the bottle has not caused me any problems :-P

15-8-2017 13:00:57  #10

andreccantin wrote:

I often use mineral spirits, in an old model glue bottle with a thin metal tube in the top. This allows application of a few small drops in just the right place.
I work it into whatever part is sticking, then use a bit of paper towel, pushed into the right place with a small flat-blade screwdriver, to mop up the gunk-filled mineral spirits.

Interesting technique. I have some mineral spirits, and I was told that it's one of the better ways to clean the gunk from a machine.

Board footera