You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-2-2014 12:02:16  #1

JD Salinger

Just watched the amazing documentary on JD Salinger and was wondering if anyone knows what make and model typewriter he used throughout his prolific writing life.

23-2-2014 14:28:31  #2

Re: JD Salinger

According to this cheeky photo he used an Olivetti Lettera 31 at least once. However, his most famous works predated the Lettera 31 by almost 20 years, so it's safe to assume that most of his (published) writing was done using other models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-2-2014 18:59:30  #3

Thanks for this. I have seen this photo before, but have heard some say that it is not actually Salinger in the photo. Have heard he used a big, ancient standard in his writing bunker, such as an old Underwood or Royal. Hoping someone out there might have the answer...

03-3-2014 13:36:54  #4

Considering the secretive life he led, that might be a tough fact to uncover.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2014 08:02:34  #5

I have nothing to contribute on the typewriter front but one of my favourite short stories of all time is J.D. Salinger's 'du Daumier Smith's Blue Period'.  Great story about a precocious young artist, featuring the great line- "the worst that being an artist could do to you, would be that it would make you slightly unhappy, constantly".

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

Board footera