You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-9-2017 21:52:56  #1

Typebar won't sit all the way down in basket

I'm trying to clean up a Royal Quiet DeLuxe that I just bought and one of the type bars won't sit down all the way in the basket. It does strike the platen when the corresponding key is pressed. I've tried to make sure there isn't anything blocking the type bar, and the the links aren't bent, but it's hard to tell for sure. Any ideas? 

04-9-2017 17:56:41  #2

Re: Typebar won't sit all the way down in basket

Hooooo boy. Of course it happens with a royal. For some reason this only happens with me on royals.

Try pressing on the linkages for it and see if it does anything.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-9-2017 17:56:53  #3

First of course.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-9-2017 20:04:00  #4

Thanks TypewriterGuy. Sadly it isn't that simple, although I did try pressing in multiple spots on the linkages...BUT, I do think I see the problem now. It appears the bottom part of the linkage, near where it connect to the type lever, is bent. Now...any idea how the hell I get to it to unbend the linkage? I have to admit I'm worried about not being able to get all the pieces back together. I'm tempted to start unscrewing things and see where it leads me, but I'll wait for any advice you can offer! 

04-9-2017 21:39:37  #5

Hey! I fixed it! I was able to stick a screwdriver in from beneath the type levers and push on the bent linkage until it bent back enough for the type bar to sit down. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. Now I have to spend some time cleaning this filthy beast and then try to get all the pieces back where they belong. 

Board footera