You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-9-2017 01:40:23  #1

Olympia SM7 - Heavy shift?

Is it just me or does the Olympia SM7 have a very heavy shift? I'm wondering if my SM7 is as it should be or has a problem.  The carriage lock doesn't engage properly & was fouling the shift but whilst it still doesn't easily it at least now works & doesn't foul the shift. This has made the shift better but it still seems heavy.

Regards
Peter

10-9-2017 07:17:39  #2

Re: Olympia SM7 - Heavy shift?

OldGreyBeard wrote:

Is it just me or does the Olympia SM7 have a very heavy shift? I'm wondering if my SM7 is as it should be or has a problem.  The carriage lock doesn't engage properly & was fouling the shift but whilst it still doesn't easily it at least now works & doesn't foul the shift. This has made the shift better but it still seems heavy.

Regards
Peter

Compared to what? We know neither how your particular example feels nor your expectations. The Olympia SM7 still has the carriage shift of the earlier Olympias, so it will feel heavier than the Olympia SM8 and SM9, so if those are your comparison, then yes, it will feel heavier. But we still can't tell if your example might have some unusual, additional sluggishness for some reason or other.

Sounds like you're on the right track with the Shift Lock.

10-9-2017 08:50:49  #3

By comparison to other carriage shift typewriters I have such as a Smith Corona Super G, an Adler Tippa or a Silver Reed 100. I wonder if there's just more metalwork in the SM7 as it has tabs and is heavier duty.  It's certainly much heavier than the Royal Aristocrat basket shift typewriter I have.

I actually really like the SM7 apart from the heavy shift. 

10-9-2017 09:38:48  #4

OldGreyBeard wrote:

By comparison to other carriage shift typewriters I have such as a Smith Corona Super G, an Adler Tippa or a Silver Reed 100. I wonder if there's just more metalwork in the SM7 as it has tabs and is heavier duty.  It's certainly much heavier than the Royal Aristocrat basket shift typewriter I have.

... snip .... 

Yes, carriage shift designs are widely acknowledged to generally be heavier than basket shift designs. as you notice between your SM7 and your Aristocrat, yes. Then notice that the three others you mention are all much smaller and flimsier than an SM7, and you get the beginnings of an answer. The part still unanswered is whether there is something not quite right about your SM7 or the heaviness you notice is solely because of the "more metalwork". That's the part that we can't answer from here. 

10-9-2017 09:40:55  #5

I actually on't think there's anything fouling the shift as it moves smoothly. It's just the way it is.

07-2-2021 20:18:50  #6

realize this post is over 4 years old. but a answer was not offered up, then.

There are two springs mounted on adjustable retained bolts...along the back of the carriage on either side. 

I adjusted mine to make the "lift" pressure needed for the Shift functions as light as possible.  Did the same adjustment on both sides so each shift-key would feel the same. 

08-2-2021 04:09:40  #7

If those adjusters are pulled all the way up, they can sometimes foul on the underside of the carriage.  If this is happening, simply remove the spring and shorten it by a couple of coils, then re-fit with the adjuster further down.

Board footera