You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-5-2014 09:09:01  #21

Re: Buying on line - what were they thinking!

Uwe wrote:

Crazy prices to be sure. Even though machines with less common paint fetch more money, that lovely green 22 is not worth a fraction of that asking price. Us collectors need to be patient and wait for the reasonably priced machines and hopefully grab them before a reseller does. In Toronto there are a number of buyers now who only buy typewriters to flip them for a profit. It's a silly way to make money and yet they try it anyway. Buying a $30 typewriter for $30 and then trying to sell it for $110 can't be easy; after all, the higher the price tag the less interest there will be in the machine.

I guess I am a bit more "Rich" in the sense that I will pay 50-60 dollars for a typewriter (Including shipping), but it has to be in full working condition.  If someone is selling a typewriter for over $100 it needs to be for me one of the following; truely rare (most typewriters are not), a fully working IBM selectric (As they are still used for real work in offices, we have two in our office alone), or freshly refurbished by someone who owns a repair shop. 

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

Board footera