You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-11-2017 09:10:40  #1

Seeking advice on purchasing replacement ribbons

I am having a difficult time understanding how to purchase replacement ribbons.  I am searching eBay, and it seems that all of the ribbons look the same (universal), even though the listing description indicates that the ribbon is a replacement for a specific model of typewriter.  My most recent purchase was for a replacement ribbon for an Olympia SM3.  When the ribbon arrived, I found that the center hole was so small to fit over the ribbon spool/shaft, and I had to drill the center out to make it work.  I am also interested in locating a source for ribbon colors other than black/red.

Any advice/guidance/sources you can share for how to actually get ribbons that fit in my machines is appreciated.

14-11-2017 12:19:01  #2

Re: Seeking advice on purchasing replacement ribbons

If you're in the USA you can check at Office Depot and Staples. I've found ribbons next to the cash registers they sell. I don't know if they'll fit your SM3 but at least you can see them in person before purchasing. Also if you have the original spools you might be able to take the ribbon off the store bought one and wind it onto the original. I don't think they sell any other colors in either store. Hope this helps.  

14-11-2017 14:12:06  #3

Office Depot and Staples may not carry ribbon. They don't in my area, and haven't for years. As far as eBay, the ribbon is generally universal, but the spool types vary. I often get spools that are of an awkward size and have to wind the ribbon onto different spools. I save spools I don't use in case I need them for other machines. On my machines I try to use the compatible/original metal spools if I have them.

I know the spool that looks like this, sold by a few eBay seller, fits an SM3:

You will see it advertised as being for different machines, but it is the same ribbon. Don't pay more than 6 bucks. There are others that fit as well, but this is the only one I know off the top of my head. As far as other colors, there are a few sellers on eBay that do different monochrome ribbon colors, and Baco ribbon can do both uncommon bi-chrome and monochrome ribbons. You have to email or call Baco, as they do not have a website.

14-11-2017 16:32:49  #4

I bought a ribbon for my SM-3 a couple of weeks ago.  I got it on Amazon.  Working fine so far.

14-11-2017 16:34:50  #5

Interesting that Staples doesn't carry ribbon where you are. I am able to find it consistently in my neck of the woods -- it's packaged as being for a printer, but it's the standard black ribbon (with grommets) on the universal spools. Porelon brand, #11579.

Definitely hang onto the original spools, especially if they are non-universal. You can always buy the ribbon and wind it onto the correct spools, though that may be a tedious and messy task.

14-11-2017 20:15:17  #6

I just recently purchased ribbon for my SM3 from a seller on Ebay. I was specifically looking for the OEM metal spools and the seller had them. His name is Tony Casillo and his Ebay name is typewriterstuff. 

Disclaimer, I have not tried to put the new ribbon in yet, so can't make a comment of fit, but I have a feeling it's right.

15-11-2017 00:42:41  #7

GNUYORK, I'm interested to see if the metal spools/ribbon you purchased works in your SM3.  I have an SM3 and an SM4 that I just had the platens remade by JJ Short, and I'd like to finish both of the machines off with OEM metal spools and fresh ribbons.  If you find the ones you ordered work well, please let me know and I'll order up some from the ebay seller you suggested. 

Many thanks to all for the great info.  Much appreciated!

15-11-2017 10:48:32  #8

So I'm not ready to install the new ribbon and spools until I give this SM3 a thorough cleaning (hopefully soon), but I did drop the spools in quickly to verify they fit. It appears they do.

15-11-2017 13:49:43  #9

Thank you!  I'm placing my order today!

Board footera