You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2017 11:11:52  #671

Re: New Member Thread

True, the SM9 doesn't have the classic look, if that's what you are looking for.

I am not familiar with letgo -- I think you may find more variety with local Craigslist ads.

The Underwood Portables are nice machines, but that name covers a wide range of time. So it's hard to give you too much counsel about those without knowing more. A well-tuned KMM is a great machine, though as I recall, adjusting the upper and lower case letters to be in vertical alignment (i.e. the bottoms of the letters are even with each other, such as H and h) can be difficult. And I've found the platens on the KMMs may be on the hard side. But -- the KMM is David McCullough's tool of choice, so that should tell you something. 

07-11-2017 12:33:02  #672

I did try Craigslist as well, most of the machines there seemed overpriced though.

I've started a new thread with links to most of the typewriters I'm looking at, perhaps someone can tell from the picture a more specific model/year range for the Underwood Portable.

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2412

07-11-2017 12:42:47  #673

Hi David,

Again, I've no experience of either (subjectively OR objectively!), but for what it's worth the Royal 10 & Underwood portable both look very pretty.  

For thirty quid, I'd get the Royal.

Actually, who the hell am I kidding?? I'd get them both!

08-11-2017 13:20:02  #674

Hi Dave. I'm live in the Atlanta areas as well - also a typewriter newbie. I have purchased 3 of my 5 (so far) typewriters from goodwill.com and so far they seem fine other than needing some general cleaning and new ribbon. No shipping damage. One of those is an Olivetti Studio 44. It's solid for sure. Of the machines I have, I would be unsure as to which would be the better workhorse between the Olympia SM3 and the Studio 44. Both are tanks. Good luck with your pursuit.

30-11-2017 17:55:38  #675

Hello!
I'm Matthew, a student from Ohio (the Columbus area).  I've come to this forum on and off while looking for cleaning tips, information, etc.  I am an aspiring writer, and like to draft stories on my machines: nothing beats the simplicity and beauty of a mechanical typewriter.
I've also experimented with creating art with my typers as well: I now have a small collection of colored ribbons to use...  I hope to keep learning and experimenting in this regard.
I just recently purchased my second machine, an Underwood 150 (SX 150?--not sure of exact model...).  It's fairly dirty, and needs some TLC.  I'm a relative newbie, but so far I've enjoyed cleaning it up and doing minor repairs.
My other is a Brother Charger 11 (likely from 1984, according to serial number) and except for some old caked on correction tape hidden inside, it works like a charm.  It's served me well so far.
I'll probably try to post something or other regarding the Underwood soon--it's been fun to work on and I can't wait to have it fully functional.

01-12-2017 01:09:45  #676

Hello and welcome Matthew!

Sincerely,
beak.

12-12-2017 11:05:57  #677

Hello/smae from Wales in the UK!

I'm both a newbie and an oldie - as a child I wrote on my parents' 1950s Underwood - as a secretary in the USA mostly Selectric IIIs.

I'm a published (PS Publishing) novelist. Purchased this past Sunday an Olympia SM7 which my husband, who was maintenance engineer for an MoD company (expensive machinery! but he had diagrams), is now trying to sort a wonky carriage. It was I think a good buy for £20, just (hopefully) needs some TLC.

Regards to everyone! Hope to see you around. Kudos too to those now discovering these brill machines, especially young people wanting to try something different.

Best,
Aunty

'Time is passing. Yes. Don't waste it.' - Katharine Hepburn

12-12-2017 13:04:03  #678

Welcome, Aunty! (I guess I'll have to look up "smae" since I've never heard/seen it used before. But then, I'm not too familiar with Wales.)

Anyway, nice choice with the SM7. If you can describe the problem with the carriage (maybe post it in the Maintenance section of the forum), I expect members here can provide some suggestions.

02-1-2018 08:50:34  #679

Hello, my name is Lucas.
I like typewriters...which must be evident, otherwise I wouldn’t be here.  I prefer machines that pre-date WWII, though there are several machines produced afterwards that I love.  I don’t particularly harbor a preference for desktops Vs. portables, nor is there a specific manufacturer I like best.   My method of typing is weird.  I’m not really a touch typist, yet I can type fast without looking...my hands kind of hover the keys rather than rest on a “home row”, and my right hand might occasionally strike left-handed keys and vise versa.  I also exclusively use the left shift.
I don’t know what for me so interested in the first place, I mean, I love mechanical objects and I love literature.  Perhaps my brain found the perfect way to meet them in the middle.  It’s preferable to me to get all my machines broken, as they are cheaper that way, and I enjoy the process of fixing them up and using them later.  Machines that are mechanically unique from one another are the ones I try and collect, as a result, I probably would never own two of the same machine, unless one had a unique typeface, or I was selling..  I hope the information I’ve learned over the years can be beneficial to other people just starting out here, and would be glad to help out anyone...as long as they’re not trying to chop the keys off a machine.  There’s a special place in hell for key-choppers.
So....yeah....

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

03-1-2018 17:06:34  #680

Hello!

I'm Lucy. I'm fairly new to typewriters, having started with a Sperry Rand Ten Forty about a year ago, and continuing on to have, at this point, eight manuals (formerly nine - I have a Royal Mercury to a friend) and one electronic. I tend to go for manual typewriters that need work, which is why I currently have two 'project' typewriters, one LC Smith Secretarial and one Underwood Standard Portable (portable should be in quotes it's so hefty) both of which are partially disassembled and cleaned up.

I have a particular soft spot for early 50s and Galaxie/Classic SCMs, LC Smiths (up to and including the later Super Speed models) and Woostocks/RC Allens. I only have a few of these, but I've had my eye on a bunch of those models for a long time now.

I'm mostly interested in learning how to fix up manual typewriters, almost any make or model, mostly with the aim of selling or using them. My current plans are to fix up and clean the typewriters I have and to keep one desktop/standard, one portable, and one ultraportable - the last category I might skip.

Oh and I have a serious soft spot/desire to have an early Smith Premier or one like it (a Yost in decent condition would be a serious victory, as far as I'm concerned). Mostly not that interested in early typewriters unless I could get them cheap and with the hard to replace parts - like the key tops and linkages - intact.

Also trying to get good enough to start a side business fixing up typewriters of all kinds.

Board footera