You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2018 11:42:59  #1

Typewriter Dimentions

Hi there!

So, there have been many times when I've been interested in finding a typewriters dimensions but been unable to find them or find reliable numbers. Sometimes this is just so that I can get an idea of how large a machine is in comparison to one I have. Other times its good for estimating shipping.

Is/are there a/any good resources out there with weights and measurements? Otherwise, I'm really into the idea of starting some sort of database of weights and measements of typewriters with and without cases. I  know that it isn't hard to find measurements for some of the more popular models, but I think a one-stop-shop might be nice to have. I'm sure that the combined efforts of the typospherians would make this a relatively do-able endeavor.

Thoughts?

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

24-1-2018 23:05:53  #2

Re: Typewriter Dimentions

Doesn’t seem like a bad idea.  I don’t know of any site like that, but I think it would help.
I am more than happy to contribute my information.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

24-1-2018 23:33:00  #3

Lucas Dul wrote:

Doesn’t seem like a bad idea.  I don’t know of any site like that, but I think it would help.
I am more than happy to contribute my information.

I'm thinking of starting a list and posting it somewhere online and editing it as I collect data. I've already begun some preliminary research. So perhaps I can get this started.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

25-1-2018 15:44:49  #4

I have weight and dimensions for every machine in my collection, but I never saw a need to post such information publically because I didn't think there was any real demand for it. However, I do include that information in the typewriter's specs when I write a model review.

With respect to shipping calculations the rough dimensions and weights for portables and ultra-portables are fairly standard, and standards can be guessed at with enough accuracy to slot them into an appropriate shipping category, which of course depends on each country's postal service but typically they're very broad ranges for weight anyway. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera