You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2018 22:31:38  #1

Assistance servicing Olivetti Editor 4C

Hi!  I've recently acquired a magnificent (I think) Olivetti Editor 4C dating from around 1971.  I've been looking for a technical or service manual for this machine online for some days without success. 

I've managed to open it up (remove cast aluminium side, back and front covers), a simple procedure once I'd located two allen bolts holding the side covers in from near the carriage mounts on either side.

The machine does type and the more I use it the better the action is getting.  However some letters get stuck in a repeat mode (q and some of the numerals - ie infrequently used characters), indicating the actuator isn't returning correctly, some letters don't leave an imprint on the page, the margin setting doesn't work (I've managed to clear the margins but unable to reset them).

I believe most of these problems are due to disuse and solidification of old lubricant. Perhaps spring ageing is a factor too. 

It seems to me that the best course is to flush the lubricated components of the mechanism thoroughly with a suitable solvent to clear out all the old gunk and reapply appropriate lubrication once its dried out again.  This is why it would be so handy to get hold of a service manual for the machine as I expect it would contain information on recommended lubricant types if not information on cleaning.

I'm hoping some helpful person might be able to give me some servicing tips on how to go about this procedure in a general fashion not specific to my machine but general to mechanical-electric machines.  Of course any information relating to this specific model or even the Editor series generally would be gratefully received.

This  is my first post to this forum - I note that there seems to be some bias against discussion of electric machines in the other topics and that the forum is mostly geared towards classic manual machines, so even though this could be regarded as a technical/maintenance question, I'm being careful and posting to the electric typewriters section.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Olivetti Editor 4C

Board footera