Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2018 09:09:49  #21

Re: Are prices going up?

I've noticed  that in the very short time I've been collecting (just started the last quarter of 2017) it seems the prices for auctions end at even higher prices than when I started, generally speaking. I got some OK (not stellar deals) on my machines, but some recent ones I have been looking at, the bids are already higher than my comfort zone by quite a bit.

I have a few good gems, so I'm in no rush to pick up for more for high prices. I really very much want a late 50s Royal Quiet Deluxe but they seem to go for extremely high prices. I went quite bit over my max budget and tried to snipe one an auction at the last few seconds and I got spanked. My max bid was not even close to the final selling price. So it looks like I'm going to have to be patient and hope to find one in somebody's attic 

Moving forward, I just need to be patient, look locally, and not rely on online auctions. Sometimes even good deals on auctions are not such a dal by the time you pay for shipping.

02-2-2018 06:54:16  #22

I've been collecting a very short time but I've noticed an interesting trend. I like to use Facebook Marketplace to look for deals (it will notify you if something matching your search has been posted) and there seems to be a growing trend of "idealists" posting machines for sale. They find a typewriter in mom's basement and go on to ebay to see what they are selling for and post for the same price. I've seen people posting typewriters that are clearly dirty and banged up for hundreds of dollars because they saw a couple of pristine machines on ebay selling for that. I'm waiting to get my hands on a smith-corona clipper that a person posted but didn't know anything about. They didn't want to take my offer of $75 until they checked at an antique shop because they saw it on ebay for much more. Most of the machines I snag are $40 or below and just need a good cleaning. End Rant...

02-2-2018 07:55:50  #23

I agree, I bought a couple for myself and my son saw them and wanted one, but the price in the meantime doubled :o! Naively I didn’t think that there was much demand.  I think ebay inflates the price, when you sell something on ebay I recall it suggests a price,’something similar sold for’ but perhaps it does not differentiate between the ones in good condition, the more popular colours, or the collector’s pieces? so everyone asks more.

I also bought one machine and collected it, the collection only ones seem to go for much less too, no one else placed a bid. I haven’t seen many I like locally though, so I went on a typewriter daytrip.

I wonder when the car boot sale season starts the supply will outstrip demand again. I noticed that with my sewing machines, in spring/summer there was definitely more choice, and spare parts cost less typewriter economics might be similar.

02-2-2018 08:35:58  #24

Badger wrote:

I wonder when the car boot sale season starts the supply will outstrip demand again. I noticed that with my sewing machines, in spring/summer there was definitely more choice, and spare parts cost less typewriter economics might be similar.

I have noticed a similar trend in typewriters. Even though I've started finding fewer of them at local garage sales, people must still be stumbling across them when they gather stuff for sale because I do find better prices online in spring and summer. Just a couple more months.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

Board footera