You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2018 16:30:16  #31

Re: Thoughts on any of these: Rem. 5, Erika, Rheinmetall, Underwood, SC

Fleetwing wrote:

Glad we could "help"!

Haha! You guys are helping. Every opinion is taken into consideration--even if it broadens, rather than narrows, my options.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

25-2-2018 23:28:17  #32

tricnomistal wrote:

Hi there!

I've shaped up the list of contenders for my next typer, and now I'm hoping to get as many thoughts as possible before I pull the trigger. I have no access to typewriters for the most part, so I rely on others' testimony. I'm a writer, and whatever I get next will be my novel-churn/poem enscriber for the foreseeable future--hopefully for the long-haul. I can't completely separate form from function, so these are chosen at least partially by their style.

Whatever thoughts and opinions you have about any or all of the following would be greatly appreciated. Typing action is going to be the most important criteria, followed closely by reliability, but I'll take any thoughts you have. Right now, I'm looking at:

1. A Remington 5 streamlined portable (mid-30's to 40's version)
2. An Erika 5, M, or 10 portable
3. A Rheinmetall post-war portable
4. An Underwood Champion/Universal (the late 30's to early 50s versions)
5. A Smith Corona Super/Silent/Clipper/Sterling (WWII era or the 50's 5 series)

Thanks in advance!

Based on your list I would go with the Erika 10. They are strong machines with a wonderful feedback. I would second's Uwe's suggestion of an SG1. If you can find any I would recommend, if you can find any, a Torpedo 18. Best portable ever made. 

Art is horsesh*t, buy tacos instead---Bukowski 

26-2-2018 00:20:32  #33

Snoopee wrote:

Based on your list I would go with the Erika 10. They are strong machines with a wonderful feedback. I would second's Uwe's suggestion of an SG1. If you can find any I would recommend, if you can find any, a Torpedo 18. Best portable ever made. 

I've heard very good things about those Torpedos. In fact, in an earlier post, I added the Torpedo to my list
Thanks for the advice!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-2-2018 13:16:39  #34

I can’t fault the Smith Corona series 5.  I do own a Remington 5 portable, but it is a very loud typer so doesn’t see as much use as it should.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera