You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-2-2018 04:58:49  #11

Re: 'Patchy' ink ribbon?

Thank you for the pictures.  Your machine, although branded Triumph/Adler was actually made in Japan by Nakajima.  The ribbon which is fitted is the one that fits most Triumph/Adler machines, but actually the ribbon intended for Japanese portables (Brother or Silver-Reed) works much better.  As Fleetwing says, there should be grommets (eyelets)near each end of the ribbon that come up against the ribbon reverse forks and trip the reverse mechanism.  Your ribbon does not have these eyelets, and you will also find that the centre hole in the spool is too large.  No need to buy another ribbon for the time being.  Just tie a knot in the ribbon near each end, and the knot will do the same job as the eyelets/grommets !  Next time you buy a ribbon, get one intended for a Brother or Silver-Reed.

16-2-2018 12:05:06  #12

Thanks so much for your information!
I'll give it a try, maybe this weekend. I've actually told the persoon who sold me the typewriter about this, she was unaware about the fact that this Triumph is actually a Japanese machine.
I've been trying to find a manual for this typewriter online, but haven't found one yet. What make and model should I look for? English isn't my first language, so it would be easier for me if I had pictures with arrows telling me which part is which, hehe

16-2-2018 13:15:25  #13

I found this -- the controls and internal layout look like your machine: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Nakajima.pdf

Try moving those ribbon gates and see whether the ribbon reverses. It should.

16-2-2018 13:45:48  #14

The instructions that Fleetwing found are for the smaller Nakajima portable rather than yours, but the ribbon mechanism is similar and you can see what the correct  spools should look like.  I haven't had any luck finding instructions for your machine either.  Strange, because it is a common machine-  under various different brand names.

Board footera