You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2018 18:48:26  #1

Best typewriters for 5th grade students to use...

I was toying with the idea of bringing a few typewriters into my 5th grade classroom for some of the kids to use. What do you think would be the best (most durable) model to bring into a classroom? I was playing with the idea of ultraportables, I have two royalites and a skyriter, but I'm nervous about subjecting them to the rigors of 10 year old if they won't stand up to the high usage. Thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

12-3-2018 20:13:09  #2

Re: Best typewriters for 5th grade students to use...

The only ones I would trust with that task would be the Olympia SM8 and SM9. They're plentiful, reasonably cheap, very sturdy, easy running, have every feature you need, new enough to have good rubber, and they're usually found in very good condition.

Of course, there are other good typewriters, but you *did* ask for the *best (most durable)*.  There is no way i would expect any ultraportable to stand up to the job you describe. Get at least regular portables or consider desktop machines, of which many brands are good for this. Consider whether you want them all to be the same (for support and to minimize contention for "favorites") or to get a variety (to provide wider experiences and to allow demonstrations of different solutions to similar needs).

Have Fun! 

12-3-2018 21:05:56  #3

Standard machines, definitely. Too heavy for the kids to pick up (and drop), and should be able to tolerate abuse. Something like a Royal KMM or FP, or an Underwood.

13-3-2018 08:17:26  #4

I don't know where the OP lives, and recommendations are most realistic when you know what's available locally. As for general recommendations, I agree with Michael that ultra-portables are definitely not a good idea. Larger, more contemporary portables would be the best choice; not only should they take the punishment, but they can still be easily stored when not in use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-3-2018 08:49:32  #5

I live in Connecticut, US. I seem to find Royal portables most often in my area. Thanks, Jeff

13-3-2018 13:21:14  #6

I find that around here (northern CT) the 6-series SMCs are in abundance, and generally in good condition. Many more of them, it seems, than Royals. My caution with those is that their typebar linkages can pop out if subjected to rough use. Those are easily repairable, but maybe a sturdier mechanism, as on a standard, makes more sense. But as Uwe points out, storage space may dictate against standards.

14-3-2018 14:25:12  #7

I agree with posters above. Even one of those gigantic 70s royal manual desktops might be good too, cheap and are heavy.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera