You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-3-2018 07:26:50  #11

Re: Vertical Alignment- Remington Quiet Riter

Ok thanks very much for the quick response. I did another test as suggested and it appears that it's just the lower case "a" is a bit lower. When I did the upper case A beside the lower case a  they were the same. I also tested other keys as well. So it looks like this is a feature and not a flaw. I can live with it for sure. Again thanks very much and I know I will enjoy this site.

All the best G

14-3-2018 09:07:43  #12

Yes, you can consider it a "feature," though I'm sure it left the factory with the A/a perfectly aligned. Most likely the slug needs a slight bending upward, but that's tough to do without the proper adjustment pliers.

14-3-2018 14:30:11  #13

Hi fleetwing,
In the photo he posted, it was evident that the caps didn’t line up with the lowercase.  The typebars adjustment, which I just use my fingers for, is not necessary in this case.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-3-2018 15:31:11  #14

That picture was posted by the original poster -- a couple of years ago. Not the same person. I agree that the OP's question was a matter of a wholesale motion adjustment.

I think you're right that for Garye's question, tweaking the A/a typebar is what's called for -- but my fingers wouldn't be strong enough to bend the typebar forward or back.

14-3-2018 15:46:16  #15

Any further updates on this? I am having the same issue. My serial num is LR3523386 (looks like March 1958). Also, my carriage return lever is not engaging. So, it is not advancing the platen when pulled.

14-3-2018 23:59:18  #16

Have you removed the platen?  If so, the pin on the return pawl isn’t slotting into the return leaver.  It’s a finicky setup that needs pressure from the right end to engage everything and keep it all in place.  This pressure comes from the tiny washer that fits in between the right end of the platen, and the inside of the right part of the carriage frame.  It’s very hard to get it into place, you’ll need to push in the right knob so the washer can hang off the rod, and then insert the platen over it, so it holds the washer in place as you slide the knob back.

15-3-2018 00:00:52  #17

The second major issue would be the spring on the pawl.  It attaches back into the rear of the carriage,  and the rear panel will need to be removed in order to hook it on.

Board footera