Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-4-2018 15:05:08  #1

Some problems with a Olympia SM9

I finnaly got my hands on a 1968-9 Olympia SM9 (the early model with black keys), after hearing so many compliments about this machine. This model is not easy to find here in Brazil. So I'm really happy with my purchase, and I must say that this machine corresponds to my expectations.

Unfortunately, I have some minor problems with it, that don't prevent me from using the machine, but that I would like to solve.

1) I noticed that the longe paper guide is off-center. It is a little "bent" to the left. It is not exactly bent actually, it just "over-spins" a little bit to the left. I can see a little mark on the machine that shows that when the paper releases, it hits on the other side, instead of stopping where it should be aligned. I don't if I made my self clear. I can get some pictures if necessary.

2) Left Ribbon spool is not reversing automatically. When the right spool comes to its end, it reverses just fine. But the left spool reverses just partially, so that the ribbon begins to move into the other direction, but in a way that it eventually reverses back. I have to fully reverse manually everytime. Maybe the spring has lost some of its tension?

3) The carriage lock is not working. If I push the lock lever, it just snaps foward without moving the piece that should "enter" the carriage and lock it. So I have to push the little piece manually to lock the carriage. On the other hand, if I pull the little lever after manually locking the carriage, it unlocks normally.

4) The touch control is not working properly. If I put it on the harder levels, the lever just snaps back to the lighter ones. If I manage to put on the harder levels without snapping, it snaps eventually after I press any key. That's not a real problem to me, because I use a softer touch.

So here are the problems that I'm having. Like I said, none of them precludes me of typing on this machine. All I have to do is use a softer touch, reverse the left spool manually and lock the carriage manually when I'm finished. The problem is that I just like this machine so much that I want to see it fully functional haha.

I'd appreciate any help!

06-5-2018 10:17:45  #2

Re: Some problems with a Olympia SM9

I’m not sure I understand the source of the problems.  Perhaps some footage or photos documenting the issues would be of help?

Typewriter collector and repair geek

Board footera