You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-5-2018 08:37:14  #1

Carriage/escapement noisy and stuck on a Smith-Corona Silent

Hello, everyone.

I've recently bought a Smith-Corona Silent, the 50's model, and it has some problems on its carriage return/escapement mechanism.

First, the carriage return is really loud. It makes a loud clicking sound if I push it to the right. Although it runs normal and silently if I press the carriage release lever.

Sometimes, the carriage gets stuck. Then I can't move it at all using the return lever. I must then press the release lever to move the carriage. If I try using the keys or the spacebar to move the carriage when it gets stuck, it doesn't work either.

I realized that, sometimes, the shift key is making the carriage advance a little, which is odd.

Finnaly, the left side of the rear enclosure of the machine (the one that you must push back to get access to the tabulators) is loose. I tried to see if there's a screw missing, but it doesn't seem so. Maybe it should just be manually reattached to its place, but I don't know how.

Can someone help me?

I appreciate!

15-5-2018 08:38:22  #2

Re: Carriage/escapement noisy and stuck on a Smith-Corona Silent

PS: I found this video on YouTube, and it looks pretty close to what my machine is doing. Maybe it's the same problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk14UpRNSqM

18-5-2018 00:11:17  #3

That noise is due to the ratchet dog bumpers being dried out.  There are remedies out there, the one I used is a careful surgery.  You just need to trim down the bumpers to make give the ratchet more room.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

21-5-2018 07:58:52  #4

Thank you! I found a video from Phoenix Typewriter that shows how to cut a piece of rubber that holds the ratchet and makes it really loud. I removed a little piece from it. Now it's ok! Thanks.

21-5-2018 11:56:44  #5

Awesome!!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera