You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-7-2018 12:22:52  #1

Olivetti Valentine: Loose silver bullets from the carriage

Hello,
I just made a bargain and got an Olivetti Valentine. Already when I unpacked it there was some noise from loose parts. Three from these small silver bullets with like 3mm diameter were loose in the case. The carriage doesn't move proper and I know that these silver bullet are part of the carriage, but I've never done a reparation on this yet. Can anybody help on this?
Greetings and thanks!

12-7-2018 13:11:29  #2

Re: Olivetti Valentine: Loose silver bullets from the carriage

I've just removed the carriage and there were also two of those mechanical parts with the totheed wheels loose. Done two pictures of the carriage and the parts, but I don't know how to upload them from my harddisk.

12-7-2018 13:18:16  #3

Putting the carriage back onto your Valentine is a pretty complex job - particularly if you have the version of the Valentine that has a tabulator.  You will probably have to take the machine for a professional repair.  Sorry to give you the bad news.

12-7-2018 13:44:24  #4

Hello Typewriterman,

I think you're right. Fortunately I have a great repairman in my city and will take the Valentine next week to him. My knowledge about typewriters is too limited to handle this.

12-7-2018 17:41:06  #5

This post will give you a lot of info about this Valentine carriage situation and it may have other links within it. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.
http://genevatypewriters.blogspot.com/2012/05/bargain-bin-olivetti-valentine.html

Good Luck!

06-8-2018 06:24:41  #6

Hello, I have a similar problem with an Olivetti Dora. I understand it is very much like the Valentine under the hood?

My tale of woe as briefly as possible: I acquired an Olivetti Dora (free of charge), and while it was otherwise rather clean and neat, it had a rust problem on the left hand side of the carriage. The carriage itself moved to the right without problems, but basically refused to move back to the left.
I figured the underside of the carriage had enough rust to hinder it from sliding smoothly, and after cleaning everything I could without disassembling the carriage, I applied oil and managed to get it moving normally.

Now, the real woe: As I was turning the machine this way and that, I accidentally flicked the draw band off the hook with my thumb and it got snagged under the carriage. Oh I wanted to kick myself. When I finally coaxed it free, the ball bearings rolled out and... well, the carriage is, needless to say, not moving anywhere right now.
I have both of the retainers and all four of the ball bearings, just no knowledge what to do with them.

Kind sirs and ladies, is there any way a beginner like me could, with patience and a few tools, remove the carriage and put the ball bearings back where they belong? I understand it is something even professionals aren't looking forward to. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider it, but there are no repairmen around where I am, and poor Dora is already broken, so it's not a terrible loss if I fail. At least I can try.

Is there a visual aid of some sort that I could use to make sure everything is put in place correctly? Manuals or photographs, anything at all? I know it's unlikely, but I have to ask.

Thank you!

Board footera