You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-7-2018 18:20:01  #1

Hermes carriage stands proud of type-bar guide

Hi;

Just bought a Hermes Media 3 (with square front protection plate), serial no.3466206, and although the carriage moves freely, there is a gap of about 1/4" between the type-bar guide and the platen (instead of the usual 1/32"-ish), which means the type bars do not reach and strike the platen. Also, the shift keys do not move, seeming locked. Does anyone know if there is another locking mechanism for transport, other than the standard carriage lock, which may explain this? Or any other reason I'm not seeing?
The seller stated that all keys were working, including the shift keys, so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it.
Any help or suggestions very welcome, as otherwise it seems a well-kept machine.

27-7-2018 02:53:07  #2

Re: Hermes carriage stands proud of type-bar guide

I'm sorry to give you the bad news, but from what you have written, I sounds as if the machine has been badly dropped.  If it was an e-bay purchase, you should be able to get your money back on the grounds that it 'wasn't as described' - i.e. fully working.  If you want the machine to be repaired (assuming that it is possible) you would get a hefty bill from a professional.

27-7-2018 04:28:06  #3

Hi Typewriterman;

Poo. I'd feared this might be the case, but hoped not. A shame because the carriage runs smoothly, it's relatively  clean (i.e. it doesn't look like it's been at the bottom of a shoe cupboard for 30 years), and the body's in great shape otherwise, but heigh-ho. You're right, it was an ebay purchase; I've informed the seller, and although they admitted to not knowing much about typewriters, and their listed photos showed typing on paper, they have offered a refund (I did say to them I'd wait a few days to see if my friendly neighbourhood typewriter forum came up with any suggestions). 
Unless something miraculous happens today when I open it again, I guess I'll put this one down to experience. 
Thanks again for your help with this. Cheers.

27-7-2018 15:14:41  #4

Well if the seller doesn't want it back and you get a refund, you have a good source of spare parts for when you buy another.  Especially if the platen knobs are intact.  These are brittle and often get broken.

Board footera