You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-8-2018 06:58:01  #1

Help to reassemble lock on travel case for my typewriter

Hello I am new here on the forum.

The thing is that I was unlucky when I was going to clean the rust on the lock to the travel box.
When I had to leave the lock off, When I had to take the lock out of its metal casing fell apart. and now I can not figure out to re-assemble the lock. 

Have tried searching online but I did not find any information about this problem 
Hope you can help a noob like me.

And in advance sorry for my bad English.

Picture of the lock:
[img]39948901_2129695164018699_3752767712565133312_n by Hexo kobi, on Flickr[/img]
Picture of the travel box the lock was on:

Image of the typewriter: Triumph Gabriele 25 (1968-1973)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24-8-2018 10:37:05  #2

Re: Help to reassemble lock on travel case for my typewriter

Hi Martinus

Looking at your pictures from a purely mechanical point of view, if one goes by the simple logic of what the lock does, it should be possible to work it out, so let's get started.

We know the latch holds the case closed by the two hooks being held apart by the springs. We also know that when the latch is locked, the hooks can't be pushed together. The third thing we know is the barrel or tumbler goes right through the lock mechanism.

I think the center locking cam is rotated 90º n the picture. Set the cam in the center of the latch so it can slide up and down. In one position, the hooks should be able to move together and apart and in the other, they won't. Now set the tumbler or the barrel into the cam so the tang on the tumbler fits into the notch in the cam so when the tumbler is rotated, the cam moves up and down.

Once you have this figured out, the next thing will be to figure out how the springs fit in. Evidently, one spring goes in either side to push the hooks apart and hold the cam in place so the latch doesn't accidently lock by itself. If I had the parts in front of me, I could probably have put it back together in the time it took me to type this reply. However, if anyone knows about these things, it will be Tom The Typewriter Man. Best of luck,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

25-8-2018 03:50:34  #3

Hi skywatcher thank you very much for your reply.

I also sat and messed around with it and you're right that the locking cam to be rotated 90º
But I still can not really see how the two springs should be inserted?
Have tried to put them in several different ways, but nothing seems to work.

And unfortunately I can not come by to visit you so you can fiddle with the lock.
But if you have the time you are welcome to make a drawing of your solution.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14-9-2018 05:22:40  #4

Hi had completely forgotten this post. But I found a solution to my lock problem, and I did this when I was restoring another lock that had a mechanism like the one I could not assemble.
so here's a picture of how it should look inside. Hope this will help others who should face the same problem in the future.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14-9-2018 13:47:08  #5

Hi Again Martinus

That's great, glad you were able to get it figured out. When I get stuck on a problem, I'll put it on the back burner until something else turns up and gives me the answer, or at least a clue. Here's an example;

By trade, I'm a licensed mechanic and run a small engine repair shop. A couple of years ago, a customer brought in a piece of equipment that I just couldn't make work properly, so it got put in the back shed. Last month, another customer brought in an identical model for some repairs. Comparing the two machines, the one brought in 2 years ago had a vital part of the belt drive missing. The machine had evidently been taken apart and put back together without the vital part. Find and install a suitable replacement part and the machine from 2 years ago worked perfectly. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-9-2018 13:30:55  #6

Hi skywatcher

Yes it's a great feeling when you have completed a project, especially when you've had it paused for a while.

All the best,

Martinus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17-9-2018 11:06:49  #7

Well done, Martinus! This should be posted somewhere where people can find it easily -- I expect a lot of locks work in a similar way, so this is quite helpful.

18-9-2018 09:36:59  #8

Thanks, I can make a new post where there are a better order in the post. it seems a bit messy now! 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Board footera