You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-9-2014 23:22:54  #1

Printing woes with rescued Erika 9

My Erika 5 is one of my go-to machines for its light touch and beautiful performance, so when the opportunity to get an Erika 9 on Ebay Germany of course I went for it. 

It arrived all dusty and filled with over 50 years of detritus, but the keys had the characteristic "grasshopper" snappiness right of the cobwebby box. 

I thought to myself, awesome -- there's little work to be done! Until I started typing.... 

With my older electric typewriters, type that prints partially is easy rectified by repositioning the platen. But in a manual, that option seems remote. 

Have you faced a similar issue, and what workarounds or remedies worked for correcting type alignment and misprinting? 

Also, is there a way of make the force needed to strike a key any less? I just find it odd that the Erika 5 requires less than half the force of the model 9 to strike the key for a 100% black impression--- especially since the keys on the Model aren't in the least jammed. 

Thank you!

04-9-2014 10:04:05  #2

Re: Printing woes with rescued Erika 9

Dirt can explain why your machine needs a lot more effort to type with than the other Erika you're used to typing with. Make sure the segment in particular is clean and free of any corrosion. I'm not familiar with the Model 9, but maybe it has a touch control system. If it does, then adjusting it will also help. 

Type alignment is certainly something that can be adjusted. I don't see a photo in your post, so I'm not sure what it was supposed to be of. There are instructions for posting photos in the Type Talk FAQ topic.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-9-2014 09:16:31  #3

Re: Printing woes with rescued Erika 9

Provis, I see that you found the problem by reading your post on the yahoo TYPEWRITERS group. Apparently the platen or carriage is loose somehow, causing the platen to be out of position.

Clark

Board footera