You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2013 15:01:44  #11

Re: My Valentine

Frank wrote:

I bought a Lexikon 80 this week (it's on its way now). Very common, but I still think it's a nice design. What makes this one extra nice is the color: orange. Haven't seen that before. You?

Another beautiful machine, and not at all common in my area, but orange? I've seen the regular Olivetti colours, their greys, browns, and blues, but can't recall having ever seen one in orange. Was that actually a factory colour of could it have been given a creative re-paint?

I used to think that the Valentine was only made in red, but then I saw a white model, and realised that there are variants out there. I also spotted a white one on eBay a while back, I think the seller wanted something like $1,500 for it. Insane. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 17:37:20  #12

There are even green valentines! 
I have only seen the Lexikon 80 on a picture, but it looked authentic to me. We'll see next week.

30-3-2013 10:55:16  #13

Speak of the devil, a Valentine was just listed in my area. The asking price? $400 CDN! Well, there's another Valentine that I won't be buying, not unless it comes down to a more realistic price - around 25 percent of its current price by my estimation.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-4-2013 05:33:45  #14

I had one for use (not collecting) way back then.   I just thought of it as a red plastic typewriter.  Your concern about flimsiness is not warranted, IMO  - I remember it as a go-anywhere utilitarian machine, and the case was very strong.  I also remember that I got a better machine when one became available; the typing was average - perfectly all right, but not remarkable at all. 

In terms of price and collectability, I should say that, with something such as this, condition would be everything.  You will see these machines with outrageous price tags, but these are only approaching sensible in a virtually brand new example.

Last edited by beak (08-4-2013 05:34:28)

Sincerely,
beak.

08-10-2014 19:55:38  #15

Well I'm a little late to the party here, but yes those Valentines are very cheap feeling and flimsy, and not fun to type on.  I am amazed daily at the prices they go for.  They are very light, and plasticky sounding.  Please let this be a crush from afar, as there are far superior machines to make you swoon

Typewriters > Babies

08-10-2014 22:02:52  #16

The funny thing is - for me - is that I've crossed it off my list. Collections are an evolutionary animal and can change dramatically, which is what happened in my case. Ridiculous prices and its less than stellar reputation in terms of its performance changed my mind about the Valentine about a year ago. My main focus is metal-cased machines from the '50s, which in my opinion was the highwater mark for typewriter manufacturing. 

Board footera