You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-6-2023 08:24:06  #1

Remington Rand Model 17 typing action

Hello all,

I have serviced a 1942 Remington Rand Model 17 standard. I find the typing action on the heavy side. I know that no typewriter is the same, but I am curious if the heavy action is common on this model?

Thanks!
Lau

19-6-2023 10:38:33  #2

Re: Remington Rand Model 17 typing action

I have a 1947 version (KMC); it's been a while since I typed with it, but my memory tells me the action was quite similar to other manufacturers' standards from that era. I don't think the popularity and long production of the 17 would have occurred if contemporary professional typists found it had an inherently heavy action. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2023 11:07:50  #3

Thanks. I'll do some more cleaning. 

21-6-2023 09:19:30  #4

How common are Remington standards in your area? I know they were also manufactured in Europe, but for some reason I'm under the impression they're more difficult to find.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-6-2023 14:40:46  #5

Remington standards are quite common in the Netherlands. 

01-7-2023 11:50:13  #6

I have the same experience over the years with Remington standards starting with my typing classes with them in the 1960s.  A friend and recently retired typewriter repairman started his career with Remington in the 1940s and owned a sales/service business and Royal dealership close by in Eugene Oregon.  I once asked why there were not more Remingtons, it seemed there was much more Royals and Smith Corona. His reply was people felt the key action on Remington was heavier and preferred the others. Frankly I didn't think any difference was that much.

30-7-2023 10:07:41  #7

About 20 years ago I rescued a Remington Standard from the curbside trash here in my home town (north central US).  The machine needed nothing except a good home, which it found with me.  I've always enjoyed this typewriter, thought it was of far better design, manufacture, and more user-friendly than the later model Underwood Fives I've owned.

As for the touch/key action, I don't have experience to compare other than the U Five, which struck me as poor.  Rem Std is certainly not as light as the SG3.   I never investigated the touch control mechanism on my Remington:  now wonder if it could have been out-of-order because I can't tell any difference between the lightest and heaviest settings.

Other American-made office manuals have eluded me.  It would be instructive to try the Royal and Smith Corona.  Alas, most of them probably ended up in scrap yards.

Board footera