You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-11-2023 07:14:21  #1

Smith Corona with unusual font

I have a SC Coronet Super 12. Font Corporate Oblique n.91. Layout AZERTY. I'd like to sell it. It's in good condition. Any idea about the price?

03-11-2023 08:37:58  #2

Re: Smith Corona with unusual font

Traful,

In what country do your reside ?

03-11-2023 08:46:49  #3

Italy

03-11-2023 12:17:19  #4

Traful,

Values vary from country to country.  I think the AZERTY layout is French.

In the USA, I see these (in the Qwerty layout) for $ 25-50 USD.  But with their cassette-type ribbon. I do not think they are very popular due to the ribbon feed system and replacement availability.

I do not buy non-QWERTY machines and the ribbon feed would be a deal-killer for me.

03-11-2023 12:22:12  #5

Ok. I know they SC Coronet are not pricey, but my question was essentially about the cursive font. On eBay prices for cursive machines are very high.

03-11-2023 13:22:34  #6

eBay - USA prices for cursive machines can be very stupid.

I have bought 4 cursive machines in the past 1-2-3 years.  All are QWERTY machine and all in mint condition.

Smith Corona Electra 120 = $ 24 USD

Olympia SGE-35 = $ 60 USD

Facit TP-2 = $ 140 USD

Olympia Traveller = $ 52 USD

03-11-2023 14:43:41  #7

The font Corporate Oblique #91 is actually a kind of sans-serif italic, not a cursive font. (Most sans-serif fonts have an oblique style instead of a true italic. If you want to know more about this: TypeTalk: Italic vs. Oblique | CreativePro Network).

Here's Corporate Oblique #91:

Here's a cursive font:

Notice how most of the letters appear connected; that's what makes it cursive.

As Pete as mentioned, cursive machines are highly in demand in the US and command crazy prices, though Pete has an amazing track record of getting good prices.

Italic / oblique machines may be different. I see far, far fewer italic machines than cursive machines, which is partly why I don't have one yet. Personally, I would jump at the chance to get a QWERTY italic. However, that may be simply because I'm a typewriter collector and font nerd. I'm not sure what the European market would be like for an italic machine. The few times I've seen an italic in the US market, it's been listed at the same very high price as a cursive (which is the other reason I don't have one yet).

[Images above from Ted Munk's NOMDA catalog: 1964 NOMDA Blue Book: Smith-Corona (SCM) Font Styles – To Type, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth… (munk.org)]

03-11-2023 15:53:11  #8

robmck wrote:

I'm not sure what the European market would be like for an italic machine.

I am from the Netherlands and have never encountered a typewriter with an italic typeface. I am looking for one for four years now. It is the number one typeface on my wishlist. To be more specific, I really, really would like to get an italic version of the standard pica design. 

Script typefaces are less rare overhere. I have had two machines with such typefaces and do see other ones offered online once in a while. 

03-11-2023 15:54:34  #9

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there is a big difference between italic and cursive (cursive is better, in my opinion). I think Italic was conceived mainly for business correspondance, etc - anyway for short texts. I am a writer, who just switched back to typewriters and, believe me, Italics on 10/20 pages looks in some odd way ..."artificial". The second problem is that my Coronet is AZERTY. I am not a fast typer, but with Coronet I type faster, but with a lot of mistakes. I put a post-it on Q, because I was tired to read on my sheet (I write in Italian) ITQLIQ and CIQO and PIZZQ )))))

03-11-2023 19:10:24  #10

To bring it all full circle, and back to Italian:

When italics were first used, entire books were printed in italics ([url]https://media.getty.edu/iiif/image/4b5eaa55-c9da-4ff3-9051-47ce1bac55e8/full/1200,/0/default.jpg[/url]). So if 10-20 pages looks a bit weird, you can imagine how it was in the 15th century when people first saw these books. (image from: A Beginner's Guide to the Renaissance Book | Getty News)

The first italic font was designed in Italy in the 15th century by Francisco Griffo, and was based on the Italian chancery scribe writing style - hence the name "italic". It was the style of writing fashionable in Italy at the time. 

So, as an Italian writer in Italy, an italic typewriter might be the perfect thing for you. 

Too bad it's got a French keyboard...

Board footera