You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-10-2014 19:41:58  #1

An odd Smith Premier

I just recently saw this ad for a "Smith Premier" typewriter on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Typewriter-Smith-Premier-Serial-Number-A10740-/281466300365?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item4188b2e7cd

After a few minutes of carefully looking over the pictures, I have reached a conclusion. But first, the facts:

*This was not sold in an english speaking country, look at the shift keys
*This was made by Remington or a company Remington owned. Smith-Premier was no longer anything but a label Remington would slap on its machines for name recognition, in europe mainly
*The patent label on the back reads "UNDER NOISELESS PATENT", yet it looks nothing like regular Remington Noiselesses, or even the original Noiseless built by the Noiseless Typewriter Company
*A very low serial number
*Smith Premier Noiseless is listed in the database as "same a Remington Noiseless 6"
*Crinkle paint opposed to the gloss paint of the Noiseless 6, and a completely different shape
*Metal ringed keytops opposed to the Noiseless 10's plastic

What I think we have here is a low-production machine that was either intended to replace the Noiseless model 10 (or 6?) and was sold in a Spanish speaking country, presumably Spain because Smith-Premier Remingtons were usually sold in Europe. Of course, this is mostly guesswork. Anyone else have ideas, and has anyone from Europe seen something similar to this before?

14-10-2014 20:50:27  #2

Re: An odd Smith Premier

Just found what seems to be a similar version of this on The Classic Typewriter Page: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/rem-portables.htm#monarch101

15-10-2014 11:17:13  #3

I have a Noiseless 6 and it's nothing like it. Then again, this machine is not a Remington design. It would originally have been a Monarch machine, but since Monarch was a company being run by Union Typewriter, which also operated Smith Premier and Remington, it is easy to understand how that design would have been shared by the other brands - or built by them. In this case it's a Smith that was built by Remington. There are many examples of this crossover branding and manufacturing from the era, and although a nice design, I wouldn't consider this typewriter to be some exotic rare animal. I would however buy it if it remained at that price and the shipping cost was reasonable.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-10-2014 18:52:37  #4

I'd be surprised if some other collectors haven't seen it, but if nobody else bids you can be certain that I will 

Board footera