You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-10-2023 20:22:42  #11

Re: Olympia Report Electric...In-Coming

Richard Polt has the Olympia SKE Report Electric user-manual up for free down-loads...

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/OlympiaReport.pdf

25-10-2023 20:38:52  #12

Thanks for doing that Pete. Great job creating the pdf and was missing from my machine references.

George

26-10-2023 08:16:03  #13

Hi George,

Glad you could use the pdf-file.

Every time I have my SKE out for 1-2 days, I fall in love with it all over again.  They are such great little machines and much easier to lug around than my Olympia SGE-35...which is the star of my 11 electrics.

As my hands get tried and sore, I really love the electrics.

26-10-2023 09:10:25  #14

Pete, it might be a somewhat silly notion on my part but I'm hesitant to use most of my electrics. I wonder how many more times the carriage can be power-returned without doing irreparable damage. The Report SKE is my favorite typebar electric and it also powers back the hardest. I have a manual return S-C Electra 120 but I do not like having to choose between single space or double space only. I prefer a space and a half for line spacing. When I had my Hermes 10 in Matt McCormick's shop this summer he replaced whatever the brake material is and maybe the SKE needs some TLC as well. When I went back to Portland to pickup the H10 I mentioned to Matt that I would like to have a working Hermes Ambassador. He said that they were/are great machines but that spare parts are essentially non-existent. So now I only take out an electric occasionally to write a letter and to keep the moving parts moving. Each time I wonder how many more pages they have to type before catastrophic failure. When I want to do a lot of electric typing I fire up the IBM WheelWriter 10, a machine by the way that Matt also has on his desk.

26-10-2023 09:57:02  #15

George,

I know well what you mean.

After numerous hours and another $ 50 on spare parts, I finally got my nice IMB Model D (non-executive) 100% sorted out.

Then a few weeks later while I was using it, the power return, when activated, sounded like it was eating itself apart.

Removing the main cowling...I found the main plastic power return gearing mechanism had come apart in about 20-30 pieces.

I gave up and traded the IBM to a local fellow who parts out IBM machines for a nice Olympia SM7 parts machine he had that was missing its man-spring and its main cowling.  It was a straight swap with no money involved.

I have 2 SM7's and figured some spare parts in reserve would be useful.

But I did feel badly about loosing the battle with the IBM...

10-1-2024 19:14:32  #16

Beware of this Olympia Report Electric now running on eBay.

Buy-it-now price is good but shipping is high,

Seller even has a link to a YouTube video so you can see the machine in action.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225815447821?hash=item3493a6490d:g:vQ4AAOSwXBplHuQq&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Je%2FLSwJdv01Bngj6%2FRawSMHI4loyzwQD5m8j4mzWlH20WvmNfAe96RvkNn4rEN63o0JxkBeUQCu8QcgmSB6n664zkBew0rLgpbnipIbyEonp%2FgbAErv9rhOERh5%2FWL27bsGL%2FxtWhPIn8Of2e%2Fw5dlAg5T3n7oS57T4YrvuBseddh18VydPuY6o8oJPp7JPT1iuQeumvNJ%2BBksJmSZ5I6H4J87v9hio1ZQYvqvsMKhyxMITJ4QiQjEedQsSruYHP869b0flkwHcjNCptQvQVfc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6rsmd2eYw

PROBLEM is...the seller is careful to not show the use the space-bar, the use the power-return, and the use the power back-space.  I assume none of those work.

YET...he states it all seems to work fine.

Of course...NO RETURNS ALLOWED.

If I were looking for parts, the BIN price is worth it...but not with the seller's requested shipping/handling cost.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oIV5Be5X9IE?si=LQQ2E5LAmnSp0x-l

Board footera