You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-4-2024 15:38:53  #11

Re: How to recognize a Pica or Elite font ?

Thanks, Laurenz, for links. Lots of details on Erikas (and a reminder of how rusty my German is).

The 1.5mm Olympia typefaces are interesting (not for daily use, though). I wonder if they shipped those machines with narrower line spacing (the specimen looks like they didn't). 

01-4-2024 22:47:59  #12

Hi Rob and Laurenz

The 1.5mm typeface works out to 17 cpi. A Type-Pal member in the USA has an Olympia SG-1 with 1.5mm (17 cpi) and I received a letter typed on that machine. A good pair of reading glasses is a must for me to be able to read that type. However, wouldn't that have been a great machine for typing on those Aerogram letters? You would be able to get a lot of information on the 3-fold correspondence. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-4-2024 14:04:03  #13

Looks like some ribbon suppliers even recommended a differing "inking" for Pica versus Elite type-sizes.

03-4-2024 09:36:18  #14

Pete E. wrote:

Looks like some ribbon suppliers even recommended a differing "inking" for Pica versus Elite type-sizes.

Given that Elite slugs are likely to foul quicker than Pica from over-inking, it was a nice option to have back when ribbon was still being produced globally, and didn't all originate from one Chinese factory (speculation).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera