You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-10-2014 19:50:34  #1

How do I remove the bottom from a Royal Centurion?

Bought my first electronic typewriter, a for $25 off Craigslist:

Haven't found a lot of info about it online, but it's a portable model from the '80's, I think. Quite heavy for a portable, IMHO. Seems to be a nice machine, but it needs to be cleaned. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove the bottom of the case.Here's what I'm dealing with:

I've removed the four screws in the upper left and the one at the bottom, but the case was still held on tight. Don't see any other places it could be attached along the side or top, but I wonder if it might one might be hidden someplace? Or do I need to just pry the two halves apart after removing the screws?Also, is there anything different I need to be aware of when cleaning this model vs. a manual typewriter? Other than not having it plugged it, which I figured out on my own. ;)

"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote

29-10-2014 21:25:47  #2

Re: How do I remove the bottom from a Royal Centurion?

It doesn't look like those four screws in the upper left have anything to do with holding the case halves together. I hope nothing fell apart on the inside when you removed them! My guess would be that you would find a screw underneath each end of the carriage when you move it out of the way.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-10-2014 09:44:41  #3

Re: How do I remove the bottom from a Royal Centurion?

Guess I'll find out if I can get the case separated! 

"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote

Board footera