You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-11-2014 16:51:41  #1

French Canadian Royal Senior Commander

Hi all,
I was recently thinking about getting a typewriter to prevent me from getting distracted by the internet while writing and almost bought a baby blue portable I saw at the thrift store for twelve bucks a couple weeks ago, but when I went back for it it was gone.  (Not surprising, after seeing how much the coloured ones go for).  
Anyway, a few days later I was walking behind some buildings and noticed some suitcases sitting on top of a pile of trash.  One was a lot older than the others and I kind of funny-shaped.  "No way," I thought.  But I was right, it was a 1950's portable typewriter case complete with typewriter!  Hoping it worked (that thing got bloody heavy after carrying it around for a while) I took it home and found that it was in perfect working order and even pretty clean (apart from the garbage smell on the case).  
What I have is a (I think) 1955 Royal Senior Commander with a French Canadian keyboard.  I'm pretty sure the Senior Commander is the Canadian name for the Senior Companion.  
So I have a few questions, first is does anyone have any info on this machine?  I know it was a budget typewriter in its day but don't know much beyond that.  Second, the ribbon spools don't match, one is metal and one is plastic.  This seems really weird, am I right in thinking that the spools aren't supposed to go together and that one is much older than the other?  Finally, what does the margin release (or Déclenche Marge on mine) button do?  I know that sometimes it stops being able to type and hitting that key makes it start typing again, but I have no idea why.

15-11-2014 20:00:46  #2

Re: French Canadian Royal Senior Commander

Actually, here's a better question: when I type quickly I often end up with spaces in the middle of words, is this a common problem and is there anything I can do to fix it or do I just have to type slower?

15-11-2014 22:33:16  #3

That's an incredible story!

Mismatched spools is not unusual. As long as they fit properly and the ribbon is advancing on its own, it's nothing to worry about.

I'm familiar with the Commander, but not a "Senior" Commander. I hope that you'll post a few pictures of it. 

As for the unwanted spaces, it's usually a sign of a sticking escapement that needs a good cleaning and oiling. If you don't know what that means you can use the search function in this forum for information because it's something that has been written about often here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2014 20:02:53  #4

Okay, hope this works for the pictures:

16-11-2014 21:27:33  #5

Very cool. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of those locally.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-11-2014 10:23:57  #6

You just found this machine on the street?? That's wonderful!

17-11-2014 16:58:08  #7

Yeah the garbage picking is great in Montreal, ha ha!  I'm glad I found it, it would have been a real shame for it to have gone to the dump and pick-up was the following day.

18-11-2014 16:32:59  #8

HA nice pickup and didn't even require a dumpster dive!

Board footera