You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-11-2014 20:44:15  #1

skyriter 3Y

Hey everyone, new to the forums. My wife wanted a typewriter for her stories she writes and as a tool to help not get sucked into the internet blackhole while she is trying to write.

I picked up a couple of smith corona skyriters one of which has the 3Y serial number. It also says made in England on the back and the bottom also has a sticker saying as such. I was under the assumption the 3Y were USA made. It has white keys and the rough tan paint and a soft case. The label on the front top cover also has the label plate that says smith corona (no prefix like the others made over seas).

Thanks for your help. 

22-11-2014 20:51:16  #2

Re: skyriter 3Y

22-11-2014 22:17:37  #3

You have an Empire Skyriter. Smith-Corona bought the Empire typewriter plant in England and it wasn't long before it was producing the last generation of Skyriters.

Here's my Empire branded version of your machine - it should look familiar:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-11-2014 23:50:57  #4

Yes very close, thanks for the info. I wish it had the larger knobs on the platen. I think those look slightly better and are easier to use. 

10-12-2014 19:19:10  #5

Hi Corey, does your wife get her stories published anywhere? And/or, is she submitting them places? Sorry, this sounds weird. But in Jan I'm going to be writing a magazine article on women writers using typewriters (and other means, eg those apps tc) to get away from the internet. Any chance she'd be willing to exchange a couple of emails?

Board footera