You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2014 18:38:37  #1

1936 Royal, value? (Also a question about getting keys to press right

Hi. I recently got a 1936 (?) Royal Typewriter.
I know nothing about the field, but figured you guys might..

Here is the model number: KH-1857691
Here is a pic:

Am I right in my research concluding its a 1936 Royal?
Anything else you can tell me about it?

Looking at others, mine seems to have a different plate on the face.  It says "Twilight Sentinel T82" and the round circles on either side both say "Automatic Mirror"   after googling "twilight sentinel" it seems to be some sort of automotive company that makes sensors for lights for  GM (General Motors)      Does having this face plate make it more rare, valueable, or collectable?  I know that auto-industry antiques are hot.

ALSO--   Before I bought it (on a whim, not knowing anything about the subject lol)..  I asked the seller to give me the serial number. She didn't know how to find it. I looked it up and copy and pasted the instruction from a website.  It said to move the "carriage" (i dont even know what that is) to either the left and right and look inside with a flashlight.

Well...the seller claims that after she did that the keys don't strike right any more.  She says they were working fine before... but now when I hit the keys the arms with the letters only raise up a little bit,  they don't come nearly high enough to contact the paper.  It feels like its something stopping it. Some sort of intentional mechanism or lock...  if anyone can give me any help or insight towards that I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also-- a ball part area of the value of it.  I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on it.  :D

Thanks a ton--

A Clueless Noob,
~Rage

Last edited by Uwe (15-12-2014 19:03:26)

15-12-2014 19:00:30  #2

Re: 1936 Royal, value? (Also a question about getting keys to press right

Yes, looks to be a '36 model KH. That "different plate" is just some decals that were added to the machine by a previous owner and doesn't add any value to the machine at all; some might argue it removes value if anything. Most likely it was used in an automotive shop of some kind, or a previous owner worked in one.

The serial number is located at the right rear of the machine under the carriage, which has to be moved to the extreme left of its range to allow the number to be seen. I would verify the number as by that time (1936) the KHM was already in production.

Not sure about the key issue though. In your photo the carriage is centered, so they should work - unless the right-side margin stop has been pushed toward the center of the machine. Try moving the carriage all the way to the right and see if the keys work then.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2014 19:27:33  #3

^

Thanks for the reply

I tried moving the carriage the keys do the same thing.   When pressed, they all only come up like an inch or so instead of going all the way up to the page.   Isn't there a way to set it into locked-mode so that unintentional key-strokes  won't mess up a document you are working on while you aren't on actively typing?
It seems like if so, then that is the "mode" its in...and I need to know how to get it out..

EDIT: Also.. do you have a ball-park area for its value you could throw me?  As I really have no clue.

EDIT 2: What would be the difference in KH vs KHM?

EDIT 3: Thanks for editing the post so I could have the pic.

Last edited by Ragekai (15-12-2014 19:49:59)

16-12-2014 15:43:41  #4

Ragekai wrote:

I tried moving the carriage the keys do the same thing.   When pressed, they all only come up like an inch or so instead of going all the way up to the page.

Does the space bar work?

Ragekai wrote:

Isn't there a way to set it into locked-mode so that unintentional key-strokes  won't mess up a document you are working on while you aren't on actively typing?

No. Typewriters do not have a feature like that. The only lock of any kind is a carriage lock, which are found on portable machines, not standard models like your KH.

Ragekai wrote:

EDIT: Also.. do you have a ball-park area for its value you could throw me?

What a machine is worth is completely dependant on where you live, the availabilty of the model locally, and its condition. And even then, that's not to say that someone who doesn't know better wouldn't pay $300 for a $30 machine. In my area - Toronto - I wouldn't pay more than $30 for your machine given that there's something wrong with it. But there are plenty of Royal KH(M) models in the Toronto area as they were made here. But what I'd pay is from the perspective of a knowledgable collector. Some laywer who wants the machine for office decor might give you $100 for it because it won't matter that it doesn't work, and because money isn't as much of a concern.

Ragekai wrote:

EDIT 2: What would be the difference in KH vs KHM?

I'm not sure to be honest, but suspect that whatever it is, it's small.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera