You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-10-2015 14:21:27  #1

FS: Four fixer-upper typewriters

Hey there!

Today, I have for sale four typewriters in different states of disrepair: A Royal Arrow, a Smith-Corona Galaxie II, a Royal Quiet Deluxe, and a Remington KMC.

First, an apology.  Two of these are the result of a youthfully brash and ill-advised attempt to learn the art of typewriter restoration on my own.  I feel pretty badly about putting them in the state they are in.  Still, I think they are all salvagable, and would love to see them go to someone willing enough and knowledgable enough to fix them.

Second, I understand that broken down typewriters are not exactly "desireable" so I understand that I won't be getting much for these.  So I will probably accept any reasonable offer; just remember that I have pay shipping (unless you are in the eastern Wisoconsin area and would arrange a pick-up) and would rather not spend more on shipping then I receive for the machines.

So here goes!

The first machine is a 1947 Royal Arrow.  I saved this one from one of those aweful key-choppers.  This machine has a broken 'H' key type-bar and I seem to have messed up the re-installation of the 'touch controller' in putting the shell back on, because the tension is too high to type.  Still, before this the machine worked pretty well--the carriage advanced nicely, the margins and bell worked and the keys moved freely.  Overall, there is some dirtyness I couldn't get to and some rust here or there, but I would say that it looks alright for a 70 year old typewriter.  This one *does* come with a case, but it's not in good shape.  It's got a fair bit of mold on it that I haven't tackled yet, so you may not want 

Here are some photos:

The next machine is a 1960's Smith-Corona Galaxie II.  This one is probably going to be the hardest to sell, because it is in the most peices.  Before I started, it was in excellent shape--it typed perfectly, it was clean on the outside and only somewhat dirty on the inside and had almost no rust.  Then, in an effort to get the whole thing clean and 'perfect' I took things apart I ought not have taken apart--namely I removed the carriage and, in an ignorant move, removed the mainspring.  In attempting to re-attach the mainspring, I broke the drawband.  ANd so, fearing to further harm this once-charming machine, I left it apart.  I have all of the parts to put it back together, screws and all, that were on it when I started.  I think that someone with actual skill in repair could probably get it fixed up in a jiffy, but I wouldn't recomend it to the faint of heart.  Still, when working, I loved this little machine, and it would be a shame if nobody can bring her back to life.  This one also comes with a case, this one in much nicer condition.

This third typewriter is a 1950's Royal Quiet Deluxe.  It is a barn find that I am now too frightened to attempt to salvage.  Still, as far as I can tell, all of the keys move and the carriage advances when you type.  The paint, as you can see, is in pretty bad shape, especially on the back.  Also, the guy I bought it from decided to spray it with WD-40 between my trip to the ATM for cash and my purchase.  I don't know how much of a pain that will be to clean out, or if it is even worth the work, but I've heard lots of good things about these Quiet Deluxes, and hope that it is salvagable for some purpose.  It is, however, quite dirty and does not come with a case, as the bottom was so damp and disintigrated that it fell to tatters as I lifed it out the first time.

This last typewriter is a 1947 Remington KMC that I picked up from a thrift shop.  This one might be the least troubling of the bunch as, if nothing else, it is currently a useable machine.  All of the keys work well and the ribbon even has some life left in it.  Still, it is not without its flaws.  Besides being obscenely heavy compared to the portables, it is quite dirty and dusty on the inside.  As well, the right margin control does not control the margin.  In examining it, the metal slider that mechanically makes the margin work still slides and moves if manually adjusted, but the margin control button doesn't seem to do the job.  Furthermore, if you start writing with the margin set too far to the left, the carriage needs to be tapped a few times as you type to actually get it to move.  Once it's part the first few spaces though, it types perfectly fine.  Finally, and probably worst of all, the ribbon reverse lever doesn't seem to do anything.  The ribbon moves as you type, but only in one direction, regarless of where the reverse lever is.  

And that's all of them.  Again, I completely understand that I may have a hard time getting these sold, so just make a reasonable offer via a PM and I will probably accept it, so long as I don't end up spending more in shipping than I would be bringing in.  My prefered method of payment will be PayPal.  If you have any questions, feel free to message me here publicly, as I'm sure other people probably would like the same questions answered.  

All the best,

-- Zac

Last edited by tricnomistal (16-10-2015 02:54:47)

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

Board footera