You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-7-2015 20:37:26  #1

Underwood Noiseless ribbon reverse

This has been a problem for awhile, but I've finally decided to fix it. 

The ribbon reverse on my Underwood noiseless only goes one way and that's to the left. When I push the button to the right, it just switches back to the left when I type. I've tried holding it down and typing, but there is some serious resistance, almost like something is blocking it. Is this a problem for anyone else and is there a way to fix it?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

07-7-2015 20:39:06  #2

Re: Underwood Noiseless ribbon reverse

Is this a standard or a portable?

I ask because Battleship Bertha did the same thing,  it's not a noiseless and I have no idea if the ribbon ever we mechanism is similar at all.

Last edited by Spazmelda (07-7-2015 20:41:52)

08-7-2015 11:42:43  #3

It's a portable

08-7-2015 12:48:41  #4

Ah, well. I suppose it's an entirely different mechanism then. Mine was missing a spring that holds the mechanism in position so it doesn't slip out gear. Once I replaced the spring it stayed switched.  I hope you can figure it out!

08-7-2015 13:29:58  #5

No Spaz, its similar. ZTyper, try shining a flashlight into the machine when typing, and see if anything is bumping into the lever causeing it to switch. That happened with my Smith Corona SKywriter.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-7-2015 14:36:29  #6

I tried that and I couldn't see anything. And my other Noiseless has the same problem too, only reversed.

08-7-2015 14:51:45  #7

Is the ribbon at the end of the line and the ribbon has a metal hole in it which is activation auto reverse?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-7-2015 14:53:43  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

No Spaz, its similar.

In what way?

The Underwood Noiseless being discussed here (I assume it's actually an Underwood Noiseless 77) was a Remington model. The typewriter Spazmelda mentioned, an SX-150 standard, is an Underwood design. The two machines have completely different ribbon transport systems.

@ztyper: did you verify that both spools are proper Remington spools? The ribbon should be wrapped around a metal ring that makes up the inside of the spool. Take a photo if you're not sure.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-7-2015 14:55:02  #9

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Is the ribbon at the end of the line and the ribbon has a metal hole in it which is activation auto reverse?

Wrong mechanism. A ribbon grommet is not used on this model to reverse the ribbon direction. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-7-2015 21:11:27  #10

I wonder if this would have anything useful.  http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/MechanicalInstructionsRemingtonPortableTypewriters1953.pdf

It doesn't mention noiseless typewriters, but they are Remington portables.  Would the ribbon reverse mechanism be similar in those?

Board footera