You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-9-2015 19:56:29  #1

Help with a stuck margin

Hey there, fellow typewriter fans,

I've been on an off of this forum for a little while, but never actually posted.  So here's my first one:

To start, I will say that I understand if, unable to see the ptoblem yourself or toy with the machine, it is impossible to determine the problem I am having.  That said, I just purchased an unrestored 1940s Remington KMC (with a strange, wide carriage) from a thrift shop for (what I believe to be) the decent price of $25.  While it shows obvious signs of wear, use, and age; all of the keys work nicely, the carriage progresses as I type, and the very old ribbon still has a small amount of life left in it; one problem I have encountered is the right margin.  The left margin works just fine when I follow the directions in the manual I found online, but the right margin just will not slide further to the right, stuck somewhere about half-way across the page.  Though I have no real expereince in typewriter repair, my best guess is that the margin control is either rusted in place or that the key is somehow broken.  I think the first one is more likely, but I don't feel satisfied when I depress the right KMC key that anything is happening, so I thought to throw it out there.  Is there another possible problem? And if it is either of the problems that I guess it to be, is there anyway I can fix it?  I am not mechanically inclined, but I am willing to do my best to learn.

Thanks in advance!

--Zac

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-9-2015 20:48:15  #2

Re: Help with a stuck margin

If you paid $25 for it and it types then you've got a decent machine. Regarding your right margin it's just a matter of TLC. If it really, really looks like it ought to slide, but it won't, then put a little oil (penetrating oil maybe) on it and see if it will wiggle. If it wiggles then you're home free. Keep wiggling and working at it and the oil will do it's stuff. Those 1940's KMG series have the "magic margin" feature, which seems like a lot of extra complication to me, but you can pull the paper tray towards you to see the magic margin mechanism and then work on loosening up the right side slider with oil, etc. Good Luck.

Last edited by treefaller (26-9-2015 20:51:50)

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

26-9-2015 21:11:06  #3

Thanks for the quick response!  I haven't actually gotten to take a look at the magic margin, because I couldn't figure out how to open up the paper table-thingy.  I will try playing with it and see if I can get some penetrating oil in there and see if it loosens things up.  It has to be meant move over at least a little--there would be no point in the extended-sized carriage if I couldn't get the margin further to the right than it was currently.  

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-9-2015 21:13:17  #4

treefaller wrote:

Those 1940's KMG series have the "magic margin" feature, which seems like a lot of extra complication to me, but you can pull the paper tray towards you to see the magic margin mechanism  

The KMG was manufactured by Royal, and Magic Margin was a Royal feature. The OP of this thread has a Remington KMC (keyboard margin control), which is a different system.

@tricnomistal: If I understand what you're describing, your right margin doesn't move at all, and it's currently set around the mid point of a letter-sized sheet of paper? I'm also assuming that when you type you have to use the margin release key halfway through every line?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-9-2015 21:23:06  #5

@tricnomistal: If I understand what you're describing, your right margin doesn't move at all, and it's currently set around the mid point of a letter-sized sheet of paper? I'm also assuming that when you type you have to use the margin release key halfway through every line?

Indeed, that is pretty much the scenario.

27-9-2015 06:55:24  #6

I have a wide carriage kmc just like yours! :D The right margin I do know is a bit finiky at times. You have to do everything perfectly to work. Let me ask you, when you press the button and slide the carriage to the left for the right margin, does it just slide back to its place? Actually, your best bet may be to just take off the top paper tray cover, where the margins are. Its easy to do.Then just test the margin yourself and see if it works.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-9-2015 00:38:22  #7

Thanks again to everyone for the responses.

I have a quick update: After removing the cover over the margin controls (the paper table?) And manually moving the right margin, it was obvious that the margin control itself was not to blame.  Instead, there seems to be a problem with the functionality of the right KMC key.  Though I am not enough of an expert to describe properly what is happening, it seems as if the key is doing what it is intended to do--raise and lower the bar with the margin controls on it--but the key doesn't seem to raise the bar high enought to unlock the right-side margin control device.

I hope that makes sense; I wish I could describe it all more accurately.

Anyways, if nothing else, I can now use my typewriter without hitting the Margin Release key with each line.  I fear pulling it apart any further to try and fix the key only to have something else go wrong.  Also, this little fix allowed me to find some other minor flaws, like the fact that the ribbon reverse doesn't seem to work and the bell only likes to ring when I manually slide the carriage.  Nothing I can't live with for the present.

Thanks again for the help!

Any other tips and suggestions are still quite welcome.

--Zac

28-9-2015 05:17:27  #8

If the bar is not raising high enough, it could either be lots of dirt somewhere, or an adjustment. The bell sounds like it needs some degreaser. That happened with mine too.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-9-2015 13:20:41  #9

TypewriterGuy wrote:

If the bar is not raising high enough, it could either be lots of dirt somewhere, or an adjustment. The bell sounds like it needs some degreaser. That happened with mine too.

By the amount of dust on the inside of the inside I would say that there is a build up somewhere that is preventing the key movement.  Though with how complicated it is on the inside (compared to my portables), I doubt I will want to do too much dissasembly for cleaning--as much as I would like to.  I have a bottle of oil that I might try and use on the bell mechanism.  Hopefully that helps.  Thanks!

28-9-2015 14:02:18  #10

tricnomistal wrote:

I doubt I will want to do too much dissasembly for cleaning--as much as I would like to. I have a bottle of oil that I might try and use on the bell mechanism. Hopefully that helps. Thanks!

Oil should only be used after a part or component has been completely cleaned and degreased. And even then, sparingly, and of the type designed for a typewriter (I use sewing machine oil, which is readily available). Generally speaking, a part should work perfectly well without any oil having been applied to it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera